Monday, January 24, 2011

Montessori Inspired Paper Cutting Practice

I was inspired by Christie's post at Childhood 101 about teaching children to use scissors and cutting activities. So, I decided to see what Sassyfras and Juiciness (now 3 years old) could do by putting together a little tray of papers and scissors.  The paper is marked in 1 1/2 inch increments and is 1 1/2 inches wide (Montessori method inspired).  The biggest part was showing them how to hold the scissors and helping them keep the hold. 

Montessori inspired cutting practice
They loved practicing, so I'm sure we'll be doing lots of cutting this week.  (The scissors are being kept out of their reach as usual though.)  As they get better, the lines on the paper can become closer together and go from straight to curved.


4 comments :

Raising a Happy Child said...

Everything you do is so pretty - I am sure if your children will inherit your flair for presentation.

Christy said...

I love your presentation too. I bet you throw great parties!!!

The Sunshine Crew said...

Great cutting practice work!
Thanks for sharing:) Colleen

Wonder Mom said...

What sweet little hands...