Wednesday, January 19, 2011

"P" says Pizza

I've spent the past year teaching Juiciness and Sassyfras the sounds of each letter.  We used something similar to sandpaper letters to trace the shape as they learned the sounds.  They have most of the letter sounds down, but are still needing help with a few.  I thought it was time to start introducing beginning letter sounds to reinforce their learning.  This week we are doing letter "P".

Letter P activities

Pizza is a fun way to talk about the letter "P"!  We read the books Curious George and the Pizza by Margret and H.A. Rey and Pizza at Sally's by Monica Wellington.  Pizza at Sally's is written by the author of Apple Farmer Annie and has the same general writing style.  It has the pizza dough recipe in it that we used today.

Letter P activities for preschoolers


While the dough was rising, we made pizzas out of the letter "P".  I put a piece of yellow paper through the shredder to make "cheese" and then punched red circles and marked them with the letter "P" for pepperoni.  We pasted the "P" on purple paper.

letter P activities

And finally, "P"izza was ready for dinner!



10 comments :

RedTedArt said...

Oh making Pizza with kids is fabulous - fun and delicious! And what a fun "P craft" too - perfect!

Thank you for linking up! Much appreciated (as always!)

Maggy

Gale said...

What a cute idea!!!

Wonder Mom said...

Forget Pizza Hut- I am calling y'all when we need our next pizza fix!

Raising a Happy Child said...

I like the idea of shredded pepper for cheese. P for Pizza sounds yummy!

The Sunshine Crew said...

Great post! Such cute ideas! We also love making pizza and reading the Curious George Makes a Pizza book too.
Wanted to also say thank you as I was just reviewing my blog stats and many of the referrals to my blog have come from your blog. I cannot thank you enough. I am currently hosting a Whole Lotta Love giveaway for my blog followers and subscribers, so please be sure to check it out and to enter. Have all kinds of items to give away over the next few weeks.
Have a great day...
love your blog, too:)
Colleen

Sherri said...

P is for pizza...I would even like that one!!! =)

Brimful Curiosities said...

That's a creative way to make cheese!

Elle Belles Bows said...

As always......PERFECT PROJECT! Kerri

Tricia at Mom is the Only Girl said...

Just stumbled across your blog and love it! We're doing letter P this week so I'm stealing some ideas!

RashiAtMemetales said...

I am a new follower, its a nice idea to make Pizza with Kids and "P" craft too. BTW you can also check handprint butterfly -
http://blog.memetales.com