Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Mitten Madness



Our craft for the day was inspired by Amanda at Handprint and Footprint Art.  I cutout some mitten patterns and we did handprints on them. On the backside, I wrote the last of our thank you notes. 



We did a little mitten match up and pretend play...


If you thought we had a lot of hats, you'll probably think we have a lot of mittens and gloves too!  I piled all of our mittens and gloves into a basket and let Juiciness and Sassyfras sort through them to find matches and try on different pairs. 




This was good matching practice as well as good practical life skills to get the gloves/mittens on by themselves.  A little side note...I leave their everyday mittens, hats, and shoes/boots in bins they can reach without assistance and their coats are on low hooks.  This way they can help get themselves ready.

When they tired of this activity, I set them up with a snack and went to hide the mittens.  We read The Missing Mitten Mystery by Steven Kellogg and then I showed them the empty basket.  They loved having a mitten hunt


9 comments :

RedTedArt said...

Oh I love the little "can't wait to get my hands on" message. That made me smile! Very sweet! Perfect Thank You Cards!!!

Thank you for linking up to Kids Get Crafty! Lovely to see you there!

Maggy

Lindsay said...

Love the Thank You notes and the mitten activities!!

Christy said...

The thank you cards are so cute. I love the mitten hunt too.

Sherri said...

Love the mitten card!!! =)
We just did mitten match up too...and I realized, I have way too many mittens!

Patricia said...

I love this box. You have given me an idea for next week boxes. Please I would love if you link up this post to my Boxes Ideas Tuesday on www.mytotlearningtime.blogspot.com

artsy_momma said...

They turned out cute! Thanks for stopping by & thanks for the linky love :)

charlotte: said...

Great thankyou cards - anything with tiny hand or footprints on gets the cuper cute award!

Blue Skies,
Charlotte xo

The Mom I Want To Be said...

Very cute! If you want to continue with the mitten theme, we read a really great book last year: Missing Mittens, and used it to work on odd and even numbers. You can see our activities here: http://givinguponacleanhouse.blogspot.com/2010/01/teaching-odd-and-even-numbers.html

Jackie H. said...

I needed an idea for thank you cards cause we still haven't written ours from Christmas!! Thanks.