Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Missing Mitten Mystery Craft

Our stART project for today was inspired by the book The Missing Mitten Mystery by Steven Kellogg.  This is a book about a little girl that spends the day playing outside, only to realize she's lost yet another mitten.  Determined to find it, she and her dog set out to solve the mystery...and find it is the snowman's heart.

The MIssing Mitten Mystery Craft
The snowmen's arms aren't glued down so you can fold them in to hide the mitten.

I mixed some homemade water colors in a few shades of winter sky blue.  You can find the recipe here. (I have found that while I still love this recipe, the paint can get gritty.  Does anyone know how to correct that or have another recipe I could try?)




After their skies dried, they glued shapes on to make the snowman.  Sassyfras puts just enough glue that a light wind wouldn knock her picture apart and Juiciness puts enough to take until the next day to dry!

snowman craft
The final part was to use black marker to make the snowman's face.  Sassyfras wanted help, but Juiciness was happy to do at least the eyes by himself.






17 comments :

Christy said...

We haven't read that book. The craft project is absolutely adorable.

Discovering Montessori said...

I love this craft! Hope my library has this book. Thank you for sharing.

Michelle said...

I can't wait to see if I can get this book at my library, it sounds like something Emily would love. The project is so cute too...I love snowmen :0)

Thank you for linking up to stART!!

Ticia said...

That is so cute, if you get a good watercolor recipe shared with you, make sure to share it.

Sherri said...

So adorable! I like the snowman with the arms that fold back!!!

Jenna said...

This is so great. I am reading this book with my youngest right not. We love it! This book is full of inspiration for activities. I will have to incorporate this one, though. Soooo cute!

RedTedArt said...

A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E!!! :-)

Raising a Happy Child said...

Sweet. When you mentioned Missing Mitten, I thought that you were reading Math Start book with the same name. This one looks like fun.

SnoopyGirl said...

What a sweet sounding story. I will have to look for it at the library.

tess said...

I like the homemade watercolor paint. The grittiness you mention is probably sugar crystals from the syrup. You might try warming it up to dissolve the sugar or use the glycerin.

Plants seeds of knowledge...for our future! said...

Cute! I love this story and read it to my kinders now I have a great art activity to go with it! Thank you for sharing!

Michelle said...

I love those little snowmen and the idea of 'hiding' mittens in your artwork. That's so funny about the glue. My two are about the same way. One uses too little and the other too much!

Brimful Curiosities said...

We have this book. I love how the mitten ends up as the snowman's heart. Great project and let be sure to let everyone know when you perfect your watercolor recipe!

Monica said...

That painting looks like a lot of fun!

Shannon said...

This is an awesome project. Thanks for sharing!

Miller Moments said...

I LOVE this!!! We are reading the book this week and so your timing is soo perfect! Thank you for sharing.

Jackie H. said...

I haven't read that book but I love Steven kellogg. I love the craft, too!