Saturday, January 22, 2011

Family Fun Night, Caribbean Style

family fun night ideas

I'm a summer girl, my kids are summer kids.  I do love the change in seasons and find fun things in all of them, but summer...please hurry back, we miss you.

Tonight was family fun night and I thought it would be nice to dream of someplace warm and sunny. We put on some Buena Vista Social club for background music and set out to have some fun.

caribbean family fun night

Virgin pina coladas!  Mix 1:1 pineapple juice with coconut cream in blender and add a few handfuls of ice, blend until smooth.


Appetizers
Fruit plate and coconut shrimp. 

family fun night ideas

Main Meal
Caribbean Chicken recipe here, and topped with pineapple mango salsa

Photobucket
Little J juicing oranges and lime for chicken marinade.

Grilled zucchini
Fried plantains

fried plantains

family fun night ideas

Now I know I took them to the other side of the world with this, but they wanted to watch finding Nemo after dinner, so that's what we did.  Little J did a little on line research to discover that while a large variety of sharks live in the Caribbean Sea, the Caribbean reef shark is most common. 

We also tried a little bit of limbo, but found the conga line much more fun, especially if you ran with leis flying behind you.

We had a craft project that we didn't get to, so we'll try for that later this week. 


12 comments :

Mizzreviewlady said...

How creative and it looked so cute..great ideas!

Raising a Happy Child said...

How fun - the table setup looks mouth watering too!

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

I absolutely love this idea! We always do something like this for Chinese New Year, but I would love to extend it, especially because I love jerk chicken. Your table setting is perfect.

Lots of Fun with My FaMiLy said...

I bet this helped take some of the winter blues away :)
I have been following you for awhile but am stopping in from the Link and Share hosted by No Time for Flashcards.
Have a great Sunday!
Tish

Elle Belles Bows said...

What fun!! Love coconut shrimp! I definitely need to try the plantains! Kerri

Shannon said...

Holy Cow! You must be the most fun mom in the world. I'm totally going to try this with my kids.

Christy said...

So much fun and I love everything you did! Last winter we had a beach day; I'm thinking it's time to do that again. It has been below zero around here.

Thanks for your comment. I'm dealing with a bit of morning sickness that has zapped all of my energy and kept me off the computer the last few days!!!

Rebecca said...

Oh my gosh- how fun!! Do you always do themed family nights??

Sherri said...

YUMMYYYYY!!!!
That sounds like a perfect evening with perfect food!

Jill said...

Sounds like a great, fun evening! Brilliant idea!

Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://jembellish.blogspot.com/

LocalFunForKids said...

What a cute idea. You should come link up at Fun for Kids Friday http://www.localfunforkids.com/

Ladybird Ln said...

What a fun idea, I am dreaming of somewhere warm right now as well!