Monday, January 31, 2011

Easy Polar Bear Craft


Sassyfras and Juiciness are reviewing the letter sound "b" this week, so we're doing our weekly theme on polar bears.  Our color of the week is white and our shape is the circle.  I found this craft at DLTK's and thought it was perfect for us.  We changed it just a bit as you'll see.


White construction paper
Black construction paper
Cotton Balls
Optional googly eyes
Optional foam flower for a little bling

I cut the paper circles out for them as they are beginners with scissors, but pros with the glue!

They covered the white circles with pieces of cotton balls to make the fur, then glued the black nose on top.


They added fun colored googly eyes and a white foam flower.  The white flower was to demonstrate how the apparent white fur color helps camouflage the bear in the Arctic.


When they finished cleaning up, we read the book I Love you With all My Heart by Noris Kern.  This is a cute book about a baby polar bear that is trying to understand how his mother loves him.  Overall, it is a sweet book, my only ugh moment is when a penguin is a character in the book.  I just think it adds to the confusion of where polar bears and penguins live.

Linking to Creative Connections for Kids- They're having a blizzard and are featuring all things wintery!
abc button


Wonder Mom said...

"Beary" sweet! (hee! hee!)

Raising a Happy Child said...

Very cute craft - and I agree with you on polar bear/penguin books.

Lindsay said...

oo very cute!!

Elle Belles Bows said...

Cute!! That is one of my favorite books. I used to read it to all all the time but now she does not have an interest in it:-( Kerri

Kristi @ Creative Connections for Kids said...

I would love for you to share this post on my linky at

We are trying to stay busy during a snow storm and this would be great...and polar appropriate!

:) Kristi

Kristi @ Creative Connections for Kids said...

Thanks for linking up to CCK!

polwig said...

They are so adorable, makes me want to cuddle them.

Beth said...

Very cute!

Candace @Naturally Educational said...

So cute! We've been reading polar bear books and I've been gearing up to make some arctic animal crafts.

I will share this on my twitter (@candaceapril) and facebook (NaturallyEducational) pages!

maggy, red ted art said...

What a gloriously cute polar bear! I love him!! Fab.

Kids Get Crafty

April said...

We did a little polar bear theme but I didn't do half the stuff I wanted to do.

Sounds like a cute book.

Coming through from stART

Ticia said...

I need to get out more cotton ball crafts, we just haven't done a lot of them.

Tracey M. said...

I love these polar bear books. Very cute. The craft to go with it is a great idea too.

Darcey said...

I like the way the bear came out. It's very cute! I've included this post on my weekly favorites here: