Saturday, December 4, 2010

Whoville, Advent Day 4

Whoville


How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss is our special book for today.  I thought it would be fun to do a little Whoville of our own using mostly recycled material.  Little J rummaged through his inventor's box and donated many of our items. 


I gave each of the kids an old, cleaned half and half or whipping cream container to paint the color of their choice.  I was surprised that they all stuck with just one color.

When they finished, I helped them sprinkle some glitter on the tops while the paint was still wet.

When working with young kids, I think it's best to keep it simple and enjoyable for them. I don't like to "fix" their work, so keeping it simple makes it easier for them to do it all on their own.  You could add windows and doors or other decorations if you're working with older children. 
 
We set our village aside to dry and headed down to watch the original "How the Grinch Stole Christmas".  We had to have grinchy snacks...popcorn with Christmas M&Ms and hot cocoa with whip cream and fun sprinkles.


This is our little Whoville.  Little J helped me make this funny Christmas tree out of an old tube, some Mardi Gras beads, and small Christmas ornaments.

We used packing peanuts to look like smoke coming out of chimneys.


No How the Grinch Stole Christmas day would be complete without having roast beast! 








Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the  weekend      wrap    up           party!

8 comments :

Janey said...

This is SUCH an adorable idea! My boys have been loving this book, and we've been reading it every day for about a week. I think I'm going to have to borrow your idea...soon! I love all of it.

Kylie said...

You realy have some fabulous Christmas ideas, thanks for sharing them all.

Christy said...

I love your Whoville! I love the bright colors they chose and the packing peanut chimney smoke!!

We had Christmas popcorn last night! Today we made reindeer sandwiches and treats. I love this time of year.

Christy said...

Our Christmas popcorn is exactly the same as yours. I thought about putting mini marshmallows in it, but my daughter doesn't really like marshmallows.

By the way, I forgot to answer your other question...we love Snowmen at Christmas! It's a great book.

Raising a Happy Child said...

It turned out amazing! Did you use acryllic paint - it covered the recyclables really well. I also like the tower with Christmas balls - very festive, and the chimney smoke is brilliant.

Jenny said...

What an awesome idea! You are so creative!

Elizabeth said...

Adorable! You did such a great job! Would love for you to come visit me at Sew Chatty and link up to Made with Love Monday! http://sewchatty.blogspot.com

Janey said...

I just wanted to share my post where I feature this idea, and show a picture of our finished product (not nearly as cute as yours!):

http://sweetestjane.blogspot.com/2010/12/recent-inspiration.html

We had tons of fun borrowing your idea. Thanks again!