Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Sweet Smells of Christmas, Advent Day 14

Scented pine cones

A few days ago we visited a Christmas tree farm after reading The Sweet Smells of Christmas by Patricia Scarry. 

This was a great place to just let the kids run and enjoy.  We learned that it takes this farm about 18 years to grow a large Christmas tree.

This book holds personal memories for me as it was my favorite Christmas book as a child.  My mother said that I would "read" this book to myself constantly.  It is a scratch and sniff book about a young bear that smells Christmas coming.  I'm happy to say that my kids have fallen in love with it too.
  • Drizzle glue on pine cone.
  • Sprinkle with cinnamon and allow to dry.
  • Drizzle with more glue.
  • Sprinkle with glitter.


For our next activity, I filled bowls with scents from the book so that we could do a little hands on smelling. (apple pie spice, pine needles, candy cane, cloves and cinnamon, cocoa, and orange slices)

I covered the bowls with foil and poked holes in it so we could guess the scent.

I can smell Christmas, it's coming very soon!




7 comments :

Raising a Happy Child said...

I love "the smells of Christmas" idea - it also makes for a terrific science experiment.

Christy said...

I love this! How fun to guess the smells.

SnoopyGirl said...

What a great idea. It looks like it would be fun to do. I love making storybooks come alive with activities and unit studies!

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

What a great activity to go along with the book! Can we come and join your family next advent season? Pretty, pretty please? :)

Elise said...

That sounds like such a delightful book. How fun to guess the Christmas scents.

Amanda said...

What a brilliant idea!! Love this.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

What a wonderful way to bring the smells of Christmas into the house.