Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Snowmen at Night, Advent Day 1


homemade marshmallows
This was our afternoon snack, white hot cocoa and homemade marshmallows.  It was all very good, but very sugary.  After our snack and an afternoon of crafting, I had thought I would put on Frosty while I cooked dinner.  Instead, I decided it was best to bundle them up and take them out for a brisk walk before dinner!

I used a snowman cookie cutter to make one big marshmallow and then added some sprinkles to decorate him. 

The marshmallows were very easy to cut.  I sprayed a sharp knife with some cooking spray before attempting to slice them, it worked like a charm.  I dusted them in blue powdered sugar.

Sprinkles and a mini candy cane for our hot cocoa.  Sassyfras and Juiciness loved the cocoa, Little J wasn't crazy about it.

For our first craft, I cut snowmen out of contact paper and glued them to a black piece of paper.  Then all you had to do was dab it with some cotton balls and let it stick. 

The kids decorated them with some googly eyes,  remnant fabric scarves, and clear rhinestones.  They used white chalk to make a nighttime winter scene.




No one wanted to put a nose, buttons, hats, or arms on their snowman, go figure.




Our next project was pine cone snowmen.  I simply spray painted some pine cones white and then let the kids decorate them with odds and ends.  I've lined them up on our mantle and they look so cute.  Little J did his pretty independently, but Sassyfras and Juiciness needed help.

A surprise package from grandparents arrived and had a snowman window gel, so we put it up too!


Our final project won't be ready to share until tomorrow, but I'm so pleased with how it's turning out and I'll be sure to post.

For dinner I thought it would be fun to have a white bean soup (very healthy after all our sugar today).  You can find the recipe here.  I've had this recipe for years and we really enjoy it.  I paired it with some homemade cheese straws (probably not so healthy, but very yummy). 

11 comments :

Christy said...

I love everything you did today!!! Love it all. We usually have a snowman week in January so I am bookmarking this for future reference.

Elle Belles Bows said...

What a great day!! Love everything. I have been wanting to try homemade marshmallows but was a bit intimated to try it. Looks like the reward is worth it though:-) Kerri

alison said...

Everything about your day looks so beautiful and perfect... I'm so jealous, I want to live there!!!

Jenny said...

What an awesome day! We'll have to try homemade marshmallows sometime!

littlewondersdays said...

The marshmallows are certainly worth trying at least once. I liked them without the powdered sugar best. We still have a pile left, I guess they'll keep for a bit. Also, I wouldn't make them with the kids as you have to boil sticky sugar...don't need any burns...

Michelle said...

I love all of your activities!! I would love to try to make our own marshmallows. Thank you for linking up to stART :0)

Raising a Happy Child said...

Very cute crafts! I love the idea of using contact paper the way you did - it can come useful to us too. And I thought that your pinecone snowmen are brilliant, you really had a lot done yesterday.

Discovering Montessori said...

Magical! Thank you for sharing.

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

You're a wonderful woman! Great job on the snowman theme - the contact paper was a stroke of genius.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

All the snowman are wonderful. The marshmallows look yummy. I will have to remember all your snowmen crafts.

Our Homeschool Fun said...

I am blown away by your advent activities each day and look forward to them:-).

You've inspired me to make homemade marshmallows for sure! I think we will do this for Snowmen at Night--one of our fave snowman books.