Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Reindeer Games, Advent Day 8

Our book for today was Christmas at the Top of the World by Tim Coffey. 

Get your Reindeer On
Our first order of business today was to get our reindeer on...by face painting Rudolph noses and donning our antlers. 


Simply take red face paint and dab on their noses, then lightly add a little body glitter for the shine.  Our antlers are paper bags cut and fitted into a crown with hand print antlers.  There, now we can play reindeer games properly!

Pass the Present


Our first game was "Pass the present".  I wrapped up a group gift, Rudolph noses aka red Lindt truffles.  I did the box, inside a box, inside a box, inside a bag trick so that everyone could have a turn.

To Play:
  • Start the song Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer.
  • Stop the music.
  • The person holding the present must first say, "Thank you".  If they forget, it's no longer their turn and the music starts again.
  • If they do say, "Thank you", they get to unwrap one box and say, "Thank you" again.
  • Start the music again and keep going until the present is completely unwrapped.
The truffles were their dessert and they were beyond excited.  They had a blast playing this game and did well with remembering to say thank you...Sassyfras actually said thank you every time regardless of who had the present.

Deb at Living Montessori Now inspired this game with her recent post of teaching children manners.


Reindeer Crafts
Our next two activities were a couple of quick and easy crafts.


The first craft is a paper bag reindeer found at Family Fun. Instead of cutting out random antlers we did hand print antlers to make it a little more personal.


The second craft is a reindeer ornament.  I shredded a few sheets of brown paper and the kids stuffed clear glass ball ornaments with it.  Then, I helped them dip a finger in red acrylic paint for the nose and white for the eyes.  For the antlers, cut a brown chenille stem in half.  Wrap one half around the top and cut the second half in half again to make the rest of the antlers.


Cocoa Cones

Reindeer Cocoa Cones, Cocoa Gifts


We finished the afternoon by helping Little J make a few cocoa cones dressed up like Rudolph to give to his classmates.  We'll do a few each day until they're done.

  • Put enough cocoa in a disposable pastry bag for 2 cups of cocoa.
  • Top with some mini marshmallows, mini chocolate chips, and some sprinkles.
  • Close with a brown chenille stem and tie into a bow.
  • Glue on googly eyes and a red pom pom nose. 
We'll tie a tag with directions and who they are from as well. 

Before bedtime, we all piled into my bed to watch Rudolph.    I'm amazed at the timelessness of of this movie.  The kids loved it and I found myself enjoying it again too. 




Our Worldwide Classroom







32 comments :

Christy said...

You are having SO much fun at your house! I love it.

Raising a Happy Child said...

I also love reading about your Advent. It must be neat to be able to play group games with your kids - we really miss "the built-in" playmates here. We watched Rudolh last year, and Anna was terrified by the Snow Beast.

Sherri said...

Wow! Your advent activities are amazing!! I'm in awe!! I am going to have to use some of your fantastic ideas!!!

Kara said...

So many cute ideas! I love the reindeer ornaments!

Deb Chitwood said...

What wonderful reindeer activities! It looks like you had a great time! And I'm honored that you used my post as inspiration for your cute "Pass the Present" game! I just featured your post on the Living Montessori Now Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow. Tomorrow, I'll start a manners discussion in the Living Montessori Now community on Blog Frog. I'll let you know when I do that!

Kylie said...

oh so cute, you have the most adorable ideas. Love the game and the cocoa reindeers.

Jenny said...

You have the best ideas! This all looks like so much fun!

Patsy said...

What a great day! I just stubbled upon your blog and it is fantastic. You are so creative and incorporate learning skills In the middle of all the fun. Thanks for sharing. Have a blessed day!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Fantastic! What a great collection of activities, and ideas.

Brimful Curiosities said...

This is a treasure trove of Rudolph activities! Such cute ideas. The game sounds fun...that's neat that everyone helped unwrap the gift.

RedTedArt said...

Oh oh oh oh oh! I love ALL the reindeers, one is lovelier than the next. The bags, the baubles everything. So cute!

Maggy
Kids Get Crafty

Deb Chitwood said...

I just added your link to the discussion in my Living Montessori Now Community at Blog Frog: "How do you teach manners to your child or children?" http://www.theblogfrog.com/1378313/forum/69164/-how-do-you-teach-manners-to-your-child-or-children.html

Kristen @ ladybug-blessings.com said...

oh absolutely precious!! love the ornaments! Come link up to Handmade Tuesdays if you have a chance! www.ladybug-blessings.com

Jenny said...

I think I was grinning the whole time I was reading your post. Such fun! Those pastry bags and glass ornaments are adorable, all of it is.

intime0 said...

Oh, love the game. I just bought a gingerbread cookie and it will be perfect for that.

believe it or not, my kids have never had a gingerbread cookie. so here we go.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I love the game. What a great way to practice thank you!

Patsy said...

Just letting you know, I gave you a big shout out on my post for today. Made your reindeer ornament for grandbaby's nursery class! Thanks for sharing. I also ment to say stumbled on my last post, not stubbled.

Candace@craftysisters-nc said...

Cute reindeer ideas, I love the little reindeer cones!

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

How cute are the reindeer bags! And I love those clear balls. You can practically put anything in there!

glittermagic said...

What fun ideas! Thank you for sharing!

C.R.A.F.T. said...

i LOVE those reindeer ornaments! come on over and link up to MMM :)

Kirsten @ Mushki Loves said...

You are such a fun mom! I love this idea, and the carrots you made with the leftover bags! I am following you now and would love it if you would stop by and become my newest follower! Thanks!

Kirsten

Make handmade said...

So cute ideas! i will make it. thanks for sharing.

Jamie @ hands on : as we grow said...

Um.... that rudolph is SO AWESOME!!!! We've been filling our ornaments with the green crinkle grass, but never thought to take it a step further to make something out of it! I included this in a roundup of ideas for homemade ornaments you can make with the kids. Thanks :)

Mommarock said...

This is SO Great! I love this idea.

enterthegreenhouse said...

Constructed the reindeer ornaments in my Gr. 4/5 class today. They loved stuffing the glass balls with the shredded paper. Instead of red paint for the nose, we used red glitter glue. Thanks for the ideas!

Little Wonders' Days said...

Enterthegreenhouse,
Thanks for sharing. I'm glad it turned out well! The glitter nose sounds like a great idea!

Cheryl said...

I came here to look at your coco-cones, but that reindeer ornament is just too adorable! Thanks for sharing!

Santa's letter Elf said...

What a great post, thank you. The cocoa cones are very cute (I'd make them now except I don't have any bags or mashmellows!) but I love those reindeer ball ornaments.

Deana Conklin said...

What kind of bags are you using? I need to make 30-40 of them, how much cocoa powder and what brand did you use?

Little Wonders' Days said...

Hi Deana,

The bags I used are actually for frosting bags that I found at Michael's craft store. I used Nestle cocoa in the big tins. I only needed 20 and I think I came close to using all of the cocoa in the tin. I put enough cocoa in each bag to make 2 drinks. I would see how many servings is in the can and go from there. Hope this helps and have a great holiday.
Kelly

Sarah said...

Thanks for the great post! I used your Reindeer Cocoa Cones idea for take-home treats for my son's preschool. They turned out great and I blogged about it here: http://www.mommade.org/2012/12/tutorial-reindeer-cocoa-cones.html. I also created little labels for the back. Thanks again and Merry Christmas!

Sarah