Thursday, December 23, 2010

Nutcracker Themed Breakfast for Kids

We read the book The Nutcracker Doll by Mary Newell DePalma.  This book is about a young ballerina inspired to be part of the Nutcracker Suite after seeing a performance of it.  She practices diligently to achieve her goal and is rewarded in the end with a part in the ballet.  This was a simple book and it doesn't tell the story of the ballet, but Sassyfras and Juiciness enjoyed it all the same.

Nutcracker themed breakfast
They enjoyed a Nutcracker inspired breakfast buffet.

Nutcracker themed breakfast via Little Wonders' Days
I made little mice out of Hershey Kisses.  You can find the directions here.

Nutcracker themed breakfast
I found some coloring pages from the Nutcracker Suite and also made some paper doll chains.

Sassyfras declared them "A mess" and pulled them apart, lol.  While they colored, I turned on the Nutcracker Suite movie (Netflix instant play).  I was surprised how much they enjoyed it and often sat fixated on it.

I have a little bit of a nutcracker obsession.  I took a few of these down and let them explore and play with them for a bit.  They liked the tall, green, sparkly one the best.

I passed out walnuts, pecans, almonds, hazelnuts, and Brazil nuts.  We observed texture, shape, size, and guessed what was inside.  Then I cracked them open and we observed and tasted them.


Christy said...

I love this. We bought a four foot tall nutcracker this year and my kids love him. We haven't read this book, but it's going on my list of books to read next year before we see the ballet. The mice are so cute.

Elle Belles Bows said...

The mice are so cute! Love your Nutcracker collection. Ella likes playing with the uncracked nuts but will not try them. Maybe next year! Kerri

Raising a Happy Child said...

You do have a nutcracker obsession! I have to look for this movie. Daughter is not a fan of nuts either.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

This is such a great idea. What a great way to make the book come to life.

Please think about linking this post to Read.Explore.Learn.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

Thanks for linking up. I Stumbled your post.

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

visiting via Skip to My Lou. This is a wonderful post. Thanks so much. My daughters will love these ideas.
I see you have a large nutcracker collection, you may be interested in this project that I posted about making a nutcracker matching game