Tuesday, December 28, 2010

How to Cut a Grapefruit


We got some ruby red grapefruit for Christmas.  I thought I would share how my grandmother taught me to cut them so they could be eaten easily.  This grandmother lived in Florida for a good part of her life, quite close to orange groves. She served either orange or grapefruit halves for breakfast each morning.

After cutting it in half, start by removing any seeds.  Then cut around the center circle of the grapefruit.

Next, cut between the grapefruit and the pith/peel.

Finally, slice between each section. 

Even my little ones had no trouble getting the fruit out to enjoy after cutting it this way.

Enjoy!

6 comments :

bluedreamer27 said...

oh thanks for the tip...
at first i thought it's pomelo hehe
have a great day and happy blogging

Christy said...

I always leave grapefruit cutting to my husband because he is good at it, but your directions are great! I'll have to try it.

Wonder Mom said...

My mother-in-law taught me this method, and it DEFINITELY makes eating a juicy grapefruit MUCH less...ummmm....sticky!

Brimful Curiosities said...

This is how we eat our grapefruit, too. I even have a special grapefruit knife that is a bit curved to make cutting easier. Did you know they make grapefruit knives?

My kids favorite part is after they eat all the fruit they take the shell and squeeze out the extra juice into a bowl, then drink with a straw. :)

Deb Chitwood said...

Teaching children how to cut a grapefruit is a great Montessor-oriented activity! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas! I love the ideas you share on your blog and gave you an award at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2010/12/28/versatile-blogger-award-to-happily-pass-on/

Raising a Happy Child said...

That's how my husband cuts the grapefruits too, and, to the comment on the grapefruit knife, we have special German grapefruit spoons :)