Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Donkey's Dream, Advent Day 5

I can't believe we're already on our 5th advent project!


We've been reading bible verses from the Christmas story each day.  Growing up, my father used to read the Christmas story to us before we opened presents.  I loved this tradition.

Our book for today was The Donkey's Dream by Barbara Helen Berger. This is a wonderful story. It is told from the perspective of the donkey that carried Mary to Bethlehem and how it dreams that it is carrying something precious. We've already read this book this season and the kids request it almost daily.

I chose our craft because stars are seen throughout the illustrations in the book.

I gave each of the kids a cardboard cutout of the star of Bethlehem, some tacky glue, and a paint brush. I had originally thought we would use some batting, but it didn't allow the points of the star to show, so we ditched that idea and went straight for the glitter.


After the kids painted their stars with glue, we placed them into plastic containers to add the silver glitter.  The two little ones did pretty well with this step.  I hot glued ribbon loops to the backs and the stars are now hanging in their bedrooms.







Shibley Smiles

11 comments :

Elise said...

I am going to see if I can purchase a copy of The Donkey's Dream. We are slowly but surely adding to our Christmas book selection. -

You have come up with so many creative ideas to do during Advent. I really like your idea of reading a different book every day and then creating an activity that complements the book. Your children are going to have such wonderful memories of Christmas.

Joyful Learner said...

I love your selection of holiday books and activities to match! I want to that possibly next year after we accumulate enough holiday books. Thanks for the inspiration!

Christy said...

I have to get that book!

I like the stars, pretty!

Ticia said...

I love this idea.

Raising a Happy Child said...

We read this book last year, and I got it again this year. It's a beautiful book though long. The stars look very pretty!

RedTedArt said...

Oh what pretty and fabulous stars. I adore them!

And the book looks great too. Living in the UK, I can't always get hold of your books, but the ones we have managed to get have been fab!

Maggy

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I love your star. The book sounds wonderful. I would love to have you link this post to Read.Explore.Learn on Friday.

Mozer said...

The stars turned out great. The Donkey's Dream sounds like a great book to add to our Christmas book box.

kewkew said...

This is the first time I visited your blog I believe. I guess, looking at these comments, I need to check it out some more. I really love your star project, they are gorgeous. And the book sounds great. Another one I have to find.
Blessings

JDaniel4's Mom said...

Thank you for showing me how to control glitter. I have the plastic container and just hadn't put two and two together.

Thank you for linking to Read.Explore.Learn. I tweeted and Stumbled your post.

Kayte said...

Their stars turned out lovely. Great idea.

Stopping in from Read. Explore. Learn.