Thursday, December 2, 2010

Cinnamon Salt Dough Ornaments, Advent Day 2

For today's advent activity we made cinnamon scented salt dough ornaments as a go along craft to Mouses First Christmas by Lauren Thompson. 

cinnamon salt dough ornaments, advent activities

 I set out a basket of various cookie cutters.  Then gave each child a silicone mat (it helps keep dough from sliding/sticking when rolling it out) and a rolling pin.  We used this recipe of mix 2 cups flour, 1 cup salt, 1 cup water, and 5 tablespoons of cinnamon.  Knead until smooth and then refrigerate for about 30 minutes before using. 

cinnamon salt dough ornaments
I was surprised at how independent Sassyfras and Juiciness were with this activity.  They needed very little help, I guess it's all the play dough they work with.

cinnamon salt dough ornaments
Juiciness made this heart.  I used a straw to punch a hole to allow us to string it later.  I also used a toothpick to put their initials and year on the backs.

easy advent activities
I love having the kids work with dough.  It's a great way to build hand strength in a fun way.

Once you have your ornaments made, place them on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake them in a preheated oven at 325 degrees for about 45-60 minutes. 

easy advent activities

Let them cool and then you can either paint them or let them be natural.  We're going to leave them natural and tie them with a bit if kitchen twine.  The house smells so warm and delicious now.

cinnamon salt dough ornaments



12 comments :

Raising a Happy Child said...

I keep thinking about making those baked ornaments but my daughter will probably be disappointed that she can't eat them. Yours look lovely.

Kylie said...

You have some fabulous christmas ideas here already and we are only a few days into advent! I love Nicholas your elf. :-)

I hope you will link your fun up to Christmas Fun 2010 - http://ourworldwideclassroom.blogspot.com/2010/12/christmas-fun-2010-kick-off.html

Christy said...

I have had salt dough ornaments on my list for quite a while now, but we never seem to get to it. Yours came out great.

Two years ago, we made applesauce cinnamon ornaments using this recipe: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/scented-applesauce-cinnamon-ornaments/Detail.aspx. They are still in great shape and still smell really good! I'm hoping to make them again this year.

Debbie said...

These are so cute! I use to make some out of applesauce and cinnamon, but I think your recipe would hold up much better.

Jenny said...

These are so cool. We love Mouse's First Christmas!

RedTedArt said...

Ah these are lovely! I know Red Ted would love them, we just haven't done these yet. Love the Cinnamon bit... I wonder how I would explain to Red TEd that they are not "for eating"... as we often bake!!!!

I am sure he would understand!

Thanks for linking up!

Maggy
Red Ted Art

Michelle said...

They turned out so cute :-)

JDaniel4's Mom said...

We worked with salt dough yesterday. JDaniel spent two hours playing with it. I should have added a scent. I bet the cinnamon smells wonderful.

Thanks for linking to Read.Explore.Learn. As a thank you, I Stumbled your post.

Michele Pacey said...

Yeah the cinnamon addition is great for this time of year! One day I will have to do this with my little one! Great idea!

Elle Belles Bows said...

This is on our "list" for the month. Hopefully, they turn out as well and we get to them!! Kerri

C.R.A.F.T. said...

I LOVED doing this as a kid! come on over and link up to MMM :)

Day by Day Housewife said...

Just came across your blog for the first time tonight...I'm going to be following from now on :) I love this idea to do with my 2 year old! Think we are going to give it a try tomorrow and make ornaments for the grandparents!