Monday, December 6, 2010

Christmas Trees, Advent Day 6


We started our morning off by reading our advent bible verse and setting up our manger.  Everyone is in school today, so we saved our activities for later in the afternoon.


Today's advent activities were all about Christmas trees!  We started the day by reading Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree by Robert Barry.   This book is about a man that has a large Christmas tree specially ordered and delivered to his house only to find it too large.  He has the top cut off and it is passed along to someone that loves it, but also finds it too large.  This happens over and over in the book until the tree is completely used.

Mmmm, cookies and milk!

Then we set to work making M&M cookies, but we used a special baking pan that I found at Walmart.  It's in the shape of a Christmas tree.  I used the recipe for Nestle Toll House chocolate chip cookies, but substituted M&M's for half of the chocolate chips.  Bake at 350 until a toothpick comes out pretty clean.  Ours took about 25 minutes. 


I premeasured the dry ingredients and then gave Sassyfras and Juiciness turns scooping it into another bowl.  I thought it would be less chaotic for me and good practice for them, plus they could feel like they helped bake the cookie.

While the cookies baked, we set up little Christmas trees in their bedrooms.  The trees are small enough to fit on their dressers, but enough to make the room festive and special. 


We made mini paper chains to decorate them too.  I cut strips of scrapbook paper into 1/2  inch by 6 inch strips and we used double sided tape.  This craft was too difficult for Juiciness and Sassyfras, so I gave them Christmas stickers to put on the papers and they enjoyed that.  We made the chain extra long, so that when we finished one tree, we could split it and finish another tree...sort of like Mr. Willowby's tree.






We Play
Come over to play at the Childhood 101 We Play Link Up.

9 comments :

Jenny said...

You always have the best ideas!

Christy said...

This is great! I love all of your ideas!

Elle Belles Bows said...

The tree cake looks so good!!!!

Raising a Happy Child said...

I was thinking of you today - how some women must be born homemakers. Definitely not me, but I enjoy reading about your ideas.

Kelly said...

Oh Natalie, that's very sweet, but if you only knew how many days I didn't feel that way! I actually left a job in health care leading a division of a large hospital (reporting to a Sr.VP) when Little J was a year old. It was a tough decision, but one I feel at peace with for now. I can say that I'm truly glad that I had my career first and then kids because I completely enjoyed that time of my life.

I still miss my old life from time to time. I try to fill that need of organizing, leading, and deciding with other things I guess. Right now, I'm chairing my local Make A Wish chapter's largest fundraiser for the second year in a row. I think I just might go crazy otherwise!

I think no matter what choice a mom makes (to work outside the home or work in the home) you make sacrifices that fit your family best and try to make yourself the best for now. There are seasons of life and different passions for each of them. I hope I make sure that Sassyfras knows I just want her to be happy and that the sky is the limit when she grows up.

Raising a Happy Child said...

Thanks for sharing this last comment, Kelly. It's very interesting to read about your past experiences. I admit that sometimes I wonder what I would do if I stayed at home and how much more time I would have to do the things like cooking and planning. Maybe I shouldn't be too hard on myself in this regard after all.

Our Homeschool Fun said...

Thanks for the book title and this fun and yummy idea!!

The Sunshine Crew said...

Great idea. Will have to look for this book. Love the M&M tree cookie, too.
Thanks for sharing.
Colleen:)

Christie - Childhood 101 said...

Love your cookies, what a great idea :)