Friday, December 17, 2010

Animals in Winter, Advent Day 17

We read the book Animals in Winter from the Let's Read and Find Out Science series today.  Then we mixed up a batch of birdseed cakes using this recipe.  We froze a few for later use as we don't want to abandon our birds mid season.



We used muffin tins as our molds.

We placed pieces of straws in the cakes until they dried so that we would have a hole to string them later.  This evening, we're going to decorate a little tree in our backyard with the birdseed cakes and also add bits of lint and fabric scraps for use in their nests.


Our local science museum has a wonderful winter and Christmas exhibit each year.  We're planning on going after we pick Little J up from school today.  I'm so excited that this is his last day for a bit!








Shibley Smiles


abc button

6 comments :

Christy said...

We are making treats for the birds too. I might add this recipe to our plans if we have time! If not, we'll definitely try this after Christmas. Thanks.

Raising a Happy Child said...

This is an interesting idea! Obviously our birds are not lacking in winter, but it might still attract more feathered friends.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

We tried making these too. I love the idea of using the straws and the cupcake liners. Ours had to be pried off a cookie sheet.

Thanks for linking to Read.Explore.Learn. I will be Stumbling this post.

Ticia said...

I'll have to try this out I was wondering how we'd do a bird feeder here.

Jenny said...

Well, that little straw trick is just what I needed. I never know how to hang snacks for the birds on our outdoor tree. We always just set things on the branches the best we could. Thanks for sharing!

Tracey M. said...

Visiting from ABC & 123....
I love having my son help me feed the birds and then watch them come eat the goodies. These look very fun. I like the book too! Just put it on hold at my library.