Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Advent Day 1, Snowmen Snowmen!

We started our adevent calendar today.  It's a big hit for the kids and now they are looking forward to each morning to see what we will be doing for the day.

We started by setting out our manger and talking about why it is special.  Then we read our bible verse for the day. 

Our book for today is Snowmen at Night by Caralyn Buehner .  We read it before everyone headed out for school, but we'll read it again when we are making our crafts or enjoying our snacks. 

I've made some white hot cocoa in the crockpot using this recipe (the only thing I did differently was to add a vanilla bean pod to it).  I'm keeping it on low until the kids come home.  I must confess that I've had some already and oh my, it's really good!

I also made a batch of homemade marshmallows using Matha Stewart's recipe found here.  They were quite easy (at least so far...I'll let you know how they cut and taste later).  I was worried the mess would be huge, but it's really just one pot and one mixing bowl. 

I tinted them blue for something different.  Did you know you could also color powdered sugar?  The best way I have found to do this is to put some powdered sugar in a Ziploc and add liquid food coloring.  It takes awhile to mix and when it dries you need to mix it again to get it smooth.  (Gel colors didn't mix well and luster dust settles out of the sugar.)

I'll share our crafts later tonight.  Enjoy!


Christy said...

How exciting! We started ours today too. We made paper bag gingerbread houses. I might have to try that white hot chocolate. We love Snowmen at Night! Such a nice book. Are you going to read Snowmen at Christmas too?

lindsy said...

These are wonderful ideas! Please keep posting what you've done each day. We may start a few days behind you and enjoy all of your ideas. Thank you!

Brimful Curiosities said...

Hard to believe it is December already. We're planning to set up our indoor nativity tonight. The kids are looking forward to it.

Raising a Happy Child said...

It's exciting that this year Hanukkah falls on Dec 1st, so our activities today will be around making latkes. I love December!