Sunday, November 14, 2010

Who Sank the Boat? Cranberries!

We've long loved the book, "Who Sank the Boat?" by Pamela Allen . It's about a group of animal friends that decide to go for a row in the bay.  One by one get in a boat together...until the last one to get in...surprisingly, sinks the boat! 

Today I filled the sink with water, cranberries, and a toy boat. The cranberries and boat both floated, but could a boat be filled with cranberries and still float? Let's see...

How many cranberries will it take to sink the boat?


 Well, wouldn't you know the boat was large enough to hold all the cranberries I had and still float! Ok, so plan B.


I took 2 pieces of foil, one smaller than the other and placed them in the water.  They floated.  Then Little J piled cranberries on the smaller one and counted how many cranberries it took to sink the foil. 


He then made the prediction that the bigger piece would not sink when the same number of cranberries were placed on it and that it would take more to sink it. He was correct and it took just over twice as many to sink the larger piece of foil.



Of course all of this floating/sinking led to a discussion about how cranberries are grown and harvested.  Over this summer on our road trip with Nana, we visited Cape Cod and were able to see cranberry bogs.  However, it wasn't harvest time, so they weren't flooded yet.  We looked at pictures from this website.

This would probably make a fun water play bin for kids as well.  I think I'll let Sassyfras and Juiciness play with it when they get up from their naps.










7 comments :

varunner said...

Cute idea. We haven't read that book. But I've had my eye on the bulk bags of cranberries at Sam's Club - maybe I'll pick one up so we can play :-)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Oh! We'll have to look for that book :)

Ticia said...

I love that book. And you came up with a great variation

Phyllis said...

I love your cranberry activities. I will have to try them when we have our annual mini cranberry bog.

Sheryl said...

What a great idea! I haven't heard of that book!

The Fifth Street Mama said...

This is a great experiment and I am probably going to use, blog about and link to your blog! Thanks so much for this fantastic idea!

3G=Growing Godly Girlz said...

That is a great little experiment! It reminds me of the one we did with a cup of water and filling it with pennies to see how many it would hold before spilling the water. Oh, and I have often wondered "should I have tried this myself first" when a project doesn't turn out like I planned. great job staying flexible!
Found you on Sunday Best. Check us out at http://growing3godlygirlz.blogspot.com. We'd love to see you there!
Blessings,
Aria;)