Monday, November 8, 2010

Teacher Workday Means a Day at the Beach

Little J had his first teacher workday last week.  I thought since our weather has been rather nice, but forecasting to turn cold and pretty much stay that way, that we would get in one last beach trip for the year.  We piled in the car bright and early and spent a wonderful day playing by the ocean.

play at the beach in fall for kids


I packed fun eats, all sort of sand toys, and a few special things.  Little J received a metal detector for his birthday, so I thought it would be fun to hide some items in the sand for him to find.  The only stipulation was that he had to let Sassyfras and Juiciness help hunt and share in the loot.  He ran the metal detector to locate the spot and they helped dig up the buried treasure.

play at the beach in fall for kids

how to color sand at the beach

We also used food coloring to make colored sand right on the beach and then filled bottles.

We fed the "chickens and the ducks".  Silly kids, I'll have to work on this!

play at the beach in fall for kids

play at the beach in fall for kids

I brought some plaster of paris with us and used the ocean water to mix it.  Each kid pressed their hand into a mound of sand and I filled it with the plaster.  I forgot to take the after pictures, but they turned out really cute.  I gave Little J the left over blob and he placed some glass stones and beach finds in it.

play at the beach in fall for kids
We gathered bucket upon bucket of shells and beach finds.

play at the beach in fall for kids
We stared out at the horizon and daydreamed.


We had a wonderful and memorable day.  About as close to mommy utopia as you can get. 


15 comments :

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

I love the picture with the "chickens." :) I've never thought of bringing plaster of paris to the beach! Thanks for the inspiration!

jtlam said...

Can't wait to use food colouring in our sand pit now, thanks for the idea!

karen said...

what fun to make coloured sand while still at the beach:) Looks like a beautiful time

Kebeni said...

wow! what fantastic ideas, I can't wait for our next beach visit

Dorie said...

What a fun day at the beach!
I like all the activities, but especially the colored sand. I have seen that for snow, but never for sand. Very neat!

Tonya @ Live the Adventure said...

What a wonderful day! My family loves to be near the ocean. Beachcombing to find special shells and beach glass is one of our favorite activities. Who knew that chickens enjoyed the beach too? LOL Too cute. Thanks for linking up to Field Trip Friday and sharing some of the ways that your family has enjoyed a day at the beach. :)

Raising a Happy Child said...

How fun - you really took advantage of late fall at the beach.

Kath@Parklover said...

Hi we obviously have similar views on Mummy utopia! I've linked a beachy post at Play Academy too. I'll have to try some of your activities next time.

Kelly said...

Beautiful day!

Seaside Siblings said...

What a lovely day and stunning photos!

Christie - Childhood 101 said...

What a lot of inspirational ideas for the beach, loving the coloured sand and the plaster of paris.

Caz said...

My girls love using food colouring at the beach to make colourful sand castles, I've never tried plaster of paris though what a great idea! Will give a go next time we are there.

Cathy at NurtureStore said...

What a great idea to take some supplies with you to the beach so you can get crafty in the outdoors. Thanks for sharing your ideas with us at the Play Academy.

KidsTravel2 said...

Some lovely ideas here - we live near the beach so will be trying these out and will give your post a mention on our facebook page too :)

anna said...

I love the blob-and-glass-pebbles creation - it reminds me of an abalone shell. What a lovely day to read about.