Monday, November 1, 2010

Simple Advent Calendar and Activities

I love the "wrapped Christmas book of the day" idea for advent, but then all our favorite holiday books are wrapped...and we want to read them...over and over. Instead, I'll be keeping our seasonal books in a basket in the living room and we'll be using this advent calendar.

Easy advent countdown with activities
I covered a piece of cardboard in scrapbook paper and trimmed it with a sticker border.  Then I printed out the numbers 1-25 on contrasting scrapbook paper and used a 3" scallop punch to cut them out.  I will replace the number each night along with the card for the back. 

The card on the back will hold a bible verse from the Christmas story, directions for what nativity character to place in the scene, the name of a book we'll read, and an activity that we will be doing.  (We'll be counting up to Christmas so not to confuse Sassyfras and Juiciness who don't understand counting backward yet.  They won't know one way or the other when we get to the "right" number and Little J knows Christmas is the 25th.)

advent ideas for kids

Some of our activities will be crafts and others might be an outing.  I've planned it to start December 1st, but my Little J won't be out of school until mid December, so our activities up until then will be pretty simple.  BTW, I cannot wait to have him out of school with us for a good bit of time again.  We miss him so much during the day!

If I can get my act in gear and figure out how to put our activity page out for a printable I will. 

Post follow up: Go to this link to see activities for days 1-7.


15 comments :

Ticia said...

let me know if you want help. I'd love to see your plan.

canuck_grad said...

I'd love to see your activity list too! I got a cute little garland thing from avon that has 24 numbered mini stockings hanging from it... so my plan is to slip a piece of paper with an activity in each one. I'll have to start keeping a brainstorming list for my activities soon!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I love the layout for you calendar. I havent' even started to think about Christmas yet.

Kelly said...

Ticia,
Thanks for the offer! I may just take you up on it. I have about 8 more days to complete and then I was going to work at ScribD or something. I'll email you if I get stuck.

Jenny @ Embellishing Life said...

What a nice idea! I love any kind of countdown calendar.

Chelsea said...

I love the idea of a bible verse and activity countdown. What a great way to recognize the true meaning of the season, and have fun too. I think I will be copying you :) I'm glad Frank got used as well. It looks like the party was wonderful.

Wonder Mom said...

WOW- I am SO IMPRESSED that you already HAVE a plan- mine probably won't come together until November 30th! :0)

Raising a Happy Child said...

Gosh - you start early. I am such a last minute person in all things that are holiday related. This calendar looks beautiful!

Elle Belles Bows said...

What a beautiful idea! Kerri

Christy said...

Beautiful!!!!!!! I can't wait to see your activity list. I'll have to do this too.

I know what you mean - I miss my kids when they are in school too.

Sherri said...

This is a fantastic idea! We wrapped our books last year too, and we really missed reading them all!

{Bobbi} said...

Amazing Advent. I needed something new this year!

Katie's Nesting Spot said...

Love this idea, we're in the same boat as far as the wrapped books goes. I tried to do that last year and my daughter really objected. She has some favorites she wants to read all the time. I really like how you've got several ideas for each day. I'm with everyone else, I'd love to see them!

LynnL said...

Check out this book. Getting Ready for Christmas, A daily advent prayer and activity book for the family by Yolanda Browne. We have used this book along with a calender with little treats since my boys were 2 and 3 yrs old. They look forward to it every year.

Let'sMakeADifference said...

Adorable craft. I am blog hopping and found your blog. I'm a new follower! Would love for you to check out my blog and follow back!