Thursday, November 11, 2010

Run, Turkey, Run!



Run Turkey Run

We read the story Run, Turkey, Run! by Diane Mayr today (and yesterday and the day before that...).  This is such a cute story for young children.  It combines everything they love with silly humor they can understand.  It also makes a great story for choral reading. 

It is about a farmyard turkey trying to hide among the various animals to escape the notice of the farmer.  He finally runs off to hide in the trees, leaving the farmer to eat grilled cheese for Thanksgiving!


I rolled each their hands with brown paint and had them press them onto ivory colored cards.  Once they dried, Little J helped me add a googly eye and using a marker, make them into little turkeys.  We wrote, "I'm thankful for you" on them to send to their grandparents.


After they finished painting we had a big game of hide and seek in the house!









Shibley Smiles

8 comments :

RedTedArt said...

Such cute turkey cards!! So sweet and will be lovely to receive!

Maggy
Kids Get Crafty link up party

Ticia said...

We read a similar story today.

Love this project, I'm thinking we might steal this.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

They are going to love getting these cards. I love this idea. Thanks for linking to Read.Explore.Learn.

Christy said...

We haven't read this book. I'll look for it.

The cards came out great!

maggy, red ted art said...

(PS THANK YOU for linking up ;-))

JavaMama said...

Sounds like such a fun book! I'll have to look for it.

Raising a Happy Child said...

I love seeing handprint turkeys in the blogosphere :) Sounds like a good book too.

Charlene said...

I'm going to have to look for that book, it sounds so cute!