Thursday, November 18, 2010

Decorating a Pumpkin Pie for a Party


Little J has a pie party at school tomorrow and he is supposed to bring his favorite pie.  He doesn't really care for pie, but loves to bake.  He chose a pumpkin pie and we'll make that after school today. 

I'm not Martha and Betty doesn't live here, so we're using a store bought crust and Little J will make the filling.  However, I thought that I could make some fun things to decorate the top of the pie.


I made a small batch of pie dough by mixing 1/4 cup of Crisco, 1/2 cup flour, 1/8 cup cold water, and 1/4 tsp salt and adding flour until crumbly, but still forming a ball. 

After rolling out the dough and using cookie cutters to stamp shapes, I crumpled up some foil to place under the leaves to give them a curled effect when baked.

A toothpick is great for adding details.

I used undiluted food coloring to paint the leaves fall colors.

Oak leaves, acorns, and of course a squirrel. (after baking)

pumpkin pie bling

Post update:  Here is Little J's pie!





4 comments :

sara said...

The pie toppers are so crafty. I'm impressed!!

Not to mention that I like other people talking about Pie :)

Ticia said...

What a fun idea......

Christy said...

So cute! That certainly seems a bit Marthaish or Bettyish to me!!!!!!!

Alison said...

This is darling!! I made a pie last night, and after making it, I wished I had done some kind of pie "bling." Why didn't I think of this?! Thanks for linking up to my Thanksgiving feast... and happy Turkey Day!

~Alison