Sunday, November 21, 2010

Magic Peppermints Grow Candy Canes!

I posted this back in September, but thought about it again as I was getting my ducks in a row for this coming week.  Our elf, Nicholas, comes to stay with us the weekend after Thanksgiving and stays until Santa picks him up on Christmas eve.  This year I heard he was bringing magic peppermints that will grow big swirly candy canes. 

Around Easter, I remember seeing a few posts for planting "magic" jelly beans and the next day they grew big swirly lollipops.  I think this is such a cute idea and it got me thinking what else could we "grow".  I thought it would be fun to have the kids plant magic peppermints in magic north pole dirt (aka fake snow) and have giant candy canes grow. 

I think our elf, Nicholas, may bring this gift when he arrives shortly after Thanksgiving.  He always leaves a letter for the kids, so he can include the "planting" instructions then.

 I had one of those clear paint cans in my stash, so I filled it with fake snow.  Then added a small cellophane bag with three peppermint candies labeled "Magic North Pole Seeds". Then another bag with some red glitter labeled "Magic North Pole Elf Dust". 

Then using some ribbon, scrapbook paper, and punches I decorated the outside of the can.

Imagine how magical it would be for a kid to be able to grow his own candy cane out of magic candies from his North Pole elf?!


Ticia said...

So strealing this

Elle Belles Bows said...

I love it!! You always have the best ideas!! Kerri

Kara said...

What an awesome idea!

Brimful Curiosities said...

Very cute idea!

Sandy Ang said...

Lovely gift giving ideas !

Kristy @ Next to Heaven said...

I can't wait to do this! What a great idea- man, I am glad I found ya this morning!!

golonghorns said...

I am planning to do this with my kids and found this cute poem as well. I am thinking of giving them to my daughter's preschool class for other parent's to do with their kiddos. Hope you like this poem and Happy Holiday Cheers to you!

Candy Cane Seeds
Plant these little seeds-
Sow all in a row.
Soon little candy canes
Will start to grow.
Singing Christmas carols
In the still of the night
Will make them grow
And stand upright.
Tasty little Candy Canes
Now are ready to eat.
Home grown sweets
That are a great treat!