Thursday, November 4, 2010

Cranberry Painting


Sassyfras's turkey


We read the story, "What is Thanksgiving?" by Harriet Ziefert today and then painted a paper turkey.  This book is about a mouse family that is teaching young mouse about Thanksgiving, why its celebrated, what we eat, and about giving thanks for our blessings.  This is a great book for the kindergarten and under crowd. 

I filled a muffin tin with fall colored tempera paint and some small, medium, and large cranberries. I had intended to use the cranberries like marbles and have the kids roll them around.


However, Sassyfras decided to dip her cranberries and leave them on the turkey, which turned out very pretty.

This was a pleasant sensory experience for Juiciness.  He liked how the cranberries with paint felt in his hands. 

He liked rolling the cranberries to paint the turkey.

Juiciness's turkey













Shibley Smiles

11 comments :

Christy said...

Cute idea. I have to get some cranberries!

{Bobbi} said...

I LOVE the cranberry idea. The turkey is awesome.

RedTedArt said...

Oh I love the end colours! And didn't they have fun. You are a very cool mum to let them paint in such an original and messy way! Good on you!!

Thank you for linking up to Kids Get Crafty!!Hooray!

Maggy

Our Homeschool Fun said...

We have never painted with berries, but this looks like lots of fun. I know my middle son would LOVE to paint like this! Thanks for a super idea!

Wonder Mom said...

Ya know, I bet you didn't even need the paint- you could have let them smash the cranberries on the turkey with hammers...ummmm, never mind- you craft is much safer for the Kindergarten and under crowd... :0)

Raising a Happy Child said...

I love the idea too, and I will be looking for this book. Both turkeys turned out very pretty!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I love this idea! What a great way to explore paint! The turkey looks so colorful. Thanks for linking to Read.Explore.Learn.

Heather said...

Oh my goodness- my daughter would LOVE this messy project! :)
Thanks for coming to check out my blog from ABC & 123 this morning!

Charlene said...

Oh those are just too cute! Love the cranberries. Before I saw what you did, I thought maybe you actually painted with the cranberries, as in smashed them and used the juice. They came out cute!

Kara said...

What a fun project! I love that each of your little ones took it in a new direction! I'm your newest follower.
-Kara
http://littlelearnerslounge.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

I have 3 year old twins that would love to do this! Guess I'll be buying some cranberries:)