Thursday, October 21, 2010


So I take the kids to the park today after school.  I've put the snacks out on the picnic table and I'm sitting for a second to relax.  Then out of the corner of my eye, I see this insect making its way down the table.  I nearly fell off the bench and I'm not normally squeamish about bugs.  But seriously, what on earth was this thing? 

We came home and did some intranet searching and found that it is a wheel bug also known as an assassin bug.  It devours other insects by using that spear looking thing in the front to stab and inject its prey with an enzyme that disables and digests it.  It reportedly can inflict a painful sting on humans.  No problem there, I took the picture and got away ASAP. 


Ticia said...

It's cool looking that's what it is!

Kelly said...

I thought you would find this one amusing Ticia! It's one of those creatures that looks like it got all the leftover parts. It was quite intimidating, but yes, cool too.