Monday, October 25, 2010

How to Preserve Fall Leaves

Little J said the big leaf was me, the medium one was him, and the two exactly the same size were Sassyfras and Juiciness.  I asked him where was Daddy and he said, "Oh, we'll have to find him one.  We don't want him to feel left out!"

We collected some beautiful fall leaves this past week.  I decided to try to preserve them for at least this season.  I followed the directions found here.

how to preserve fall leaves

We mixed one bottle of glycerin (found in the pharmacy department) with two parts water.  We made a fresh cut in the leaf stem and then soaked them in the solution for 3 days.
preserving fall leaves

They are just as beautiful and soft as the day the kids collected them.  I'm not sure how long they will stay this way, but we have displayed them on a square of cork board. 

9 comments :

Christy said...

I'll have to try this!

Deborah said...

I wanted to try this too!

Elle Belles Bows said...

Very cool! Ella has quite the collection of leaves on her nature table. So, this is a perfect way to make a keepsake. Thanks for sharing! Kerri

Bending Birches said...

we love this!
here's my post on leaf dipping..
http://bendingbirches2010.blogspot.com/2010/10/love-from-falling-leaves.html

Raising a Happy Child said...

How interesting! I am adding this post to "science" section of my Evernote. Your leaves look beautiful.

Deb Chitwood said...

I love that the leaves can be preserved so beautifully! I featured this on the Living Montessori Now Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

kewkew said...

Wow, thanks for sharing. I was needing a way to preserve leaves. Those leaves are gorgeous.

RedTedArt said...

Oh WOW! This is a FABULOUS idea and so perfect for the season. I am always dismayed at how quickly our leaves wrinkle or get brittle if you try and flatten them. This is fabulous - also for creating autumn craft pictures.

THANK YOU for sharing with us all on Kids Get Crafty!

Maggy

Lizzy said...

Cool--what a great thing to know how to do!