Monday, October 18, 2010

Halloween Paper Mache Cat


Little J and I made this paper mache black cat last Halloween, but I love it so much that I thought I would share it with you.  It was inspired by Martha Stewart.

Our paper mache recipe was simply flour and water 3:1 mixed together and not cooked.  We stored it in the refrigerator until we were finished with our project.  

The first several layer of strips were pink tissue paper all over an extra large latex balloon.  This gave the cats its pink mouth and ears.  We let it dry 1-2 days between layers.  Next, we started in with layers of newspapers to add strength.  The last layers were black tissue paper. 

We placed the finishing touches of cat eyes, ears, and teeth once it was completely dried.  I've stored it in a large Rubbermaid Tote.  It will be filled with candy for trick-or-treaters on Halloween night.





 

6 comments :

Kerry@ SparkPicks.com said...

That is really cute!!

Shayna @ Texas Monkey said...

I love this, so crafty you are! I'd love for you to link it up and show it off, it would go perfect with my Halloween Party link up party. http://texasmonkey.blogspot.com/2010/10/all-about-you-monday-link-up_18.html

Christy said...

I have never done paper mache with my kids. I have to add this to my list!

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

So clever and well done! Gotta try this one!

Raising a Happy Child said...

Very impressive!

malia said...

so cool! i love papier mache and have never heard of your formula-- gotta try it! thx for sharing at a crafty soiree... hope you join us again tomorrow!