Thursday, October 14, 2010

Germs are Not For Sharing...Preschool Lesson Plans

teaching preschoolers about germs
I bet you think this is cute little tea party we're having.

Germs are not for Sharing lesson plans
But, it's not.  It's a share great times together, but keep your germs to yourself party.  With cold season insight, I wanted to make sure to start teaching Juiciness and Sassyfras about keeping healthy. 

Germs preschool lesson plans
We washed our hands before snack. 

Bathroom stools and fun, easy to use soaps help young preschooler independently wash their hands.  I just use store brand pump soaps and put a few stickers on them.

I've taught them to sing the A,B,C song when they wash.  This will ensure they wash long enough to be effective, but don't stay and wash for the next 10 minutes.  Really, any song your preschooler likes and knows that is about 2o seconds long should be fine.  There are even cute hand washing songs you can learn.

While warm water may be ideal for hand washing, I've just taught them to turn on the cold.  I put a small sticker on the cold faucet to help them remember.  I have to replace it from time to time, but I think they pretty well know which one to use now.

preschool germ lessons
I picked out two books to read while they had snack.  The first is Germs Are Not for Sharing by Elizabeth Verdick.  This book is a very simple book about hand washing, proper blowing your nose, and sneezing and coughing etiquette.  As I read it, I used their stuffed animals to demonstrate and then they practiced.

The other book was Don't you Feel Well, Sam? by Amy Hest (I realized after sitting down that I had put out a different Sam book and had to go get the correct one). This is a book about a young bear named Sam.  Sam has a cough and doesn't feel well.  His mama bear takes special care of Sam.

how to teach preschoolers about germs
Blow, wipe, toss, wash.

For my own self, I went through our medicine cabinet and threw away any expired medicines and made a list of the medicines I like to keep stocked.  I also went through the pantry and made sure I had cold comfort foods and drinks and the makings for chicken noodle soup on hand.  I may make a batch and keep in the freezer.

I posted sometime ago about sick day tips, you can read my tips here.  I also saw some wonderful tips at Rhythm of the Home for a few natural home remedies, see their post here.


Christy said...

Great idea. I'm going to check out your links now.

Elle Belles Bows said...

This is such a fabulous idea. It also made me smile! Thanks for sharing the link! Kerri

Charlene said...

That is so cute! I love the sticker on the cold faucet. Nathan still asks me "Is this the cold one, Mom?" Never in a million years would I have thought to put a sticker on there.

Very clever!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I am so in love with these ideas. Putting the sticker on the faucet and reading the books on germs are things I need to do this week. We sing the abc song too. I think that is how JDaniel learned his alphabet.

Thank you so much for linking to Read.Explore.Learn.

maryanne @ mama smiles said...

What a fun way to teach healthy habits!

cathy @ NurtureStore said...

Lots of practical tips here - thanks very much for sharing with us at the Play Academy.

Debbie said...

This would be a great week for us to work on this theme since it seems we both have colds. I love your idea of the sticker on the faucet.

Ticia said...

I need to work on how long they wash, and make sure they're using soap.

This is one of those posts, in my mind I had commented on, but for some reason I hadn't...... Also wanted to say "Cute title, made me laugh."

Michelle said...

Love this! And it goes perfectly wirh our last week's theme. Come by and link your post to our linky: