Sunday, October 10, 2010

From Seed to Pumpkin a Lifecycle Book

Pumpkin lifecycle

We visited a pumpkin patch today.  It was such a nice day.  I took a ton of pictures of the kids and then I thought to take pictures of the pumpkins themselves so we could do a pumpkin life cycle lesson later today. (The little ones are spent and are off to nap time.)


We've been reading all sorts of pumpkin books this week, but later today we will reread the nonfiction book "From Seed to Pumpkin" by Wendy Pfeffer and my favorite fictional pumpkin book, "Pumpkin Hill" by Elizabeth Spurr.  Pumpkin Hill is a funny book about a pumpkin that grows on the far side of a farmer's hill.  The pumpkins go through many life cycles undetected by the farmer until one day the mass of pumpkins storm the town.  The book is well illustrated and has wonderful language. 

pumpkin lifecycle book for preschoolers



Our project will be to put together life cycle books using the pictures I took today.  I've saved the front cover to put a picture of them finding their perfect pumpkin. 

pumpkin lifecycle book

The pages are pumpkin shaped and they just need to glue our pictures and put them in life cycle order to make their book.  My plan to secure them is the ever so fancy staple through the stem trick.


This is the cover for their books.  It will have a picture of them finding their pumpkin.







6 comments :

Debbie said...

I always get so homesick this time of year for the pumpkin patches and orchards. I love that picture of your little one carrying that big pumpkin.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Great idea to make your own life cycle book from pictures of their own visit to the patch!

Discovering Montessori said...

Nice! Love the lifecycle booklet. Thank you for sharing.

Raising a Happy Child said...

What a fun visit. I am still trying to convince husband to go to the pumpkin patch. Maybe this year I will prevail :)

Ticia said...

I love the pictures those are so amazing!

The girl who painted trees said...

Those are great pictures.