Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Dot


We had the book The Dot by Peter H. Reynolds given to us and we read it today.  The book is about a young girl that feels she can't draw and her art teachers gives her a little encouragement to start where she can't fail, by making a dot and signing it.  This encouragement motivates the girl to continue trying to improve her art.  I don't know that I would rush out to buy this book, but the kids all seemed to enjoy it.


I saw this project over on The Artful Parent and thought it would be a good go along.




Their dots eventually turned into swirly circles.



I put out 3 different colors of paint, q-tips, and a 9x12 art canvas for each kiddo and showed them how they could make just dots if they wanted. 

I couldn't resist serving LittleBitz ice cream dots for snack after! 




Shibley Smiles











12 comments :

Elle Belles Bows said...

Ella will love this craft. I will look in to getting the book too! Take care, Kerri

Michelle said...

We enjoy painting with q-tips too, Emily's pictures always end up looking the same way, but she does have fun doing it and that is really what matters :0)

I will see if the library has this book on my next trip, Emily is hesitant about drawing sometimes because she is afraid that it won't look right.

Thank you for linking up to stART this week :0)

Raising a Happy Child said...

Great project for this book, and a very fitting snack too.

Ticia said...

Yum, having ice cream afterwards, awesome.

My kids have never taken to q-tip painting, which is a shame because it's so much easier to clean up.

Brimful Curiosities said...

Oh, that book is a favorite of my daughter. She'd urge everyone to buy it. I've never heard of ice cream dots! Interesting.

RedTedArt said...

Oh how lovely! Your dot paintings came out FABULOUSLY!

And the book sounds brilliant!

Maggy
Kids Get Crafty
http://www.redtedart.com

Christy said...

My kids liked this book too. I love your snack choice!!!!!!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Wow! You found the perfect snack choice - terrific!

Debbie said...

This is such a cute project and I love your snack choice!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I love that you ties a snack into it. Dots would turn into twirls at my house too.

Charlene said...

Hmmm ice cream dots...yummy! Cute swirls, I'm thinking Nathan would have made swirls too.

Michelle said...

Very cute! Love that the process is more important than the outcome with this. Great choice!