Sunday, October 31, 2010

How to Make Cranberry Play Dough

I put out this play dough and fall cookie cutters (leaves, acorn, squirrel, and apple/pumpkin) this morning.  It kept the kids busy while I put the last minute party plans together.


cranberry play dough

cranberry play dough, home made play dough

This started out as a complete experiment.  I had bought cranberries to make whole cranberry sauce.  I added about 4 cups of water to one bag of cranberries and brought it to a boil, then reduced it to low for about 20 minutes. I drained the berries and the water left from this recipe was a pretty, well, cranberry color. 


I decided to make some play dough using the water.  It turned out a very pretty shade of pink.

how to make cranberry play dough

how to make cranberry play dough

It's your basic play dough recipe, just change the water for cranberry water...
Cranberry Play Dough Recipe
2 cups of flour
1 cup of salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon cream of tarter
2 cups of cranberry water

Place ingredients in a sauce pan and heat over low heat, stirring until it starts to pull away from the sides.  Once a good ball forms, remove from heat and turn out onto a heat safe surface to cool slightly.  Knead until smooth.






20 comments :

Kim said...

Did it have a cranberry smell? I LOVE the color!

Kelly said...

It smells better than plain homemade play dough, but it is just a faint hint of cranberry scent. I think the appeal for me is rather the color.

Christy said...

Very cool!

Caz said...

What a beautiful colour it came out as!

Sarah said...

Beautiful colour! I used beetroot juice once and it looked similar, and have also used turmeric for a lovely vibrant yellow. I love the idea of natural dyes.

Ooh it would be lovely with a couple of drops of rose oil to make it smell as pretty as it looks!

Elle Belles Bows said...

Thanks for this idea and recipe. It will be a fun change of pace here. Kerri

Kebeni said...

gorgeous colour! we made playdough this week but I forgot to take pics

Kelly said...

Excellent recipe! How cool!

Becky said...

LOVE the colour your play dough came out. I only have one cookie cutter - a ginger bread man, which I can't wait to use with some Christmasy play dough. Great idea :)

Philippa said...

what neat playdough and a fantastic colour :)

Emily said...

What a great idea! The color is gorgeous. I love the idea of using natural dyes in things your kids will be handling.

Alicia said...

It's beautiful! I linked to this in a round-up of green crafts today here: http://www.examiner.com/green-culture-in-mankato/green-craft-round-up-salt-scrub-pouches-cranberry-playdough-and-more

We've dyed our own playdough with things like turmeric and beet juice, but never cranberries. Here's a list of other things you can dye with: http://www.examiner.com/green-culture-in-mankato/make-your-own-play-dough-with-natural-dyes Crab apples are fun and plentiful right now too. :)

Aiming4Simple said...

Very clever. We may have to try this!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I love the color. Bet is smells wonderful!

IndieSpotting said...

Great idea! Such a nice alternative to food coloring!

Janey said...

I adore the color. I've never used a natural dye for play dough, but I'm going to have to try now! Thanks!

amandab said...

That is a lovely coloured playdough! :) And knowing what has gone into your playdough is always more reassuring.

Darcey said...

Thank you for sharing this recipe. I'll have to try it. I've linked up to your post at my blog:
http://play2grow.blogspot.com/2010/11/weekly-favorites-november-7-2010.html

welcome to our wonderland said...

I didn't even know anyone else had made any here is our cranberry play dough http://lettersnumbersandbooksohmy.blogspot.com/2010/11/cranberries-playdough-scones-and-music.html

Deb Chitwood said...

Great autumn activity! I featured your cranberry playdough at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow