Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Scarecrow's Heart Craft

A Scarecrow's Heart, arts and crafts kids

We read several scarecrow themed books this week.  Our favorites have been Little Scarecrow Boy by Margaret Wise Brown and The Lonely Scarecrow by Tim Preston. 

The Little Scarecrow Boy is about a scarecrow boy who wants to be just like his father and work in the corn fields scaring crows away, but first he must be able to make all the fiercest faces.  We've had fun making silly faces at each other all week. 

The Lonely Scarecrow is about a scarecrow guarding a field and all the animals come out to play, but don't dare go near the scary looking thing in the field.  Poor scarecrow is lonely and left out of all the fun.  Until winter arrives turning him into a sweet snowman overnight.  The scarecrow is delighted when all the animals join him in the winter wonderland, but he worries what will happen when they discover who he really is...

I finally decided to do a shape collage with Juiciness and Sassyfras.  I cut out all the shapes to make a scarecrow's face and then using some fabric scraps, made bodies with a heart for them.

fall crafts for kids
I asked them to find a certain color and shape for each step.  They did pretty good with these instructions.

scarecrow craft for kids
I found they either used a ton of glue or just barely enough. 

scarecrow craft for kids
I let them place their own shapes unless they were really off, then I might suggest they move it a little.

A Scarecrow's Heart, arts and crafts kids

Juiciness putting his scarecrow's heart in place.



12 comments :

Lindsay said...

oo this turned out adorable!! I love these!

Dorie said...

Wow, that is a great idea! I'll have to try it sometime soon with my little one.
Thanks for sharing.

Wonder Mom said...

The Scarecrow Boy is one of our fav fall stories! Oh, and i LOVE your "glue" comment- 'cause it it SO true!

canuck_grad said...

Those are the cutest PJs!!!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Those really turned out cute!

Debbie said...

These are so cute!

Brimful Curiosities said...

You know, I think that is the first girl scarecrow I've ever seen! Cute.

Ticia said...

Mine always use too much

Love their scarecrows

RedTedArt said...

Oooh, what lovely scarecrows Have to say, kids always impress me with what the CAN do! Quit amazing.

Maggy
Kids Get Crafty
Red Ted Art

Christy said...

Adorable!!!!!!! We love The Scarecrow Boy too! Last year we made scarecrow cookies and I'm hoping to do that next week.

Raising a Happy Child said...

Very sweet project. I liked the touch with a heart - very Wizard-of-Ozey. We enjoyed A Lonely Scarecrow last year, and we might get it again sometime this fall.

Holly said...

Love their scarecrows. I'm going to have to look for those books.