Monday, September 27, 2010

Grow a Magic Candy Cane

I posted this back in September, but thought about it again as I was getting my ducks in a row for this coming week.  Our elf, Nicholas, comes to stay with us the weekend after Thanksgiving and stays until Santa picks him up on Christmas eve.  This year I heard he was bringing magic peppermints that will grow big swirly candy canes. 


Around Easter, I remember seeing a few posts for planting "magic" jelly beans and the next day they grew big swirly lollipops.  I think this is such a cute idea and it got me thinking what else could we "grow".  I thought it would be fun to have the kids plant magic peppermints in magic north pole dirt (aka fake snow) and have giant candy canes grow. 

magic candy canes

I think our elf, Nicholas, may bring this gift when he arrives shortly after Thanksgiving.  He always leaves a letter for the kids, so he can include the "planting" instructions then.


 I had one of those clear paint cans in my stash, so I filled it with fake snow.  Then added a small cellophane bag with three peppermint candies labeled "Magic North Pole Seeds". Then another bag with some red glitter labeled "Magic North Pole Elf Dust". 



Then using some ribbon, scrapbook paper, and punches I decorated the outside of the can.


Imagine how magical it would be for a kid to be able to grow his own candy cane out of magic candies from his North Pole elf?!





21 comments :

Ticia said...

That would be amazing! I'm so going to do this (I just need to remember.......)

sara said...

What an adorable idea! Will have to tell my sister...Pie is still too little :)

welcome to our wonderland said...

this rocks! I LOVE this I starred it in my google reader I'm so making these this christmas thank you so much for sharing

Tauni said...

I remember those lollipop posts - such a cute idea for Christmas!

Of course, I am simply impressed you are even thinking about Christmas...I am just hitting Halloween!

Christy said...

Love it! I will be doing this too!!!!!!

RedTedArt said...

Oh my! How cute is this! Adorable!!! Red Ted will love it (and probably demand we plant "Magic Sweets" all year round, of course, they only grow at Christmas!)

Thank you for submitting for Christmas Get Crafty! Perfect!

Maggy
PS You landed in the Spam filter, but I found you!!!

Amanda said...

Love love LOVE it! My son will so enjoy this. I have to remember!!!

Erin said...

Oh my gosh! I LOVE this idea. I think it may be the coolest thing I've seen in quite some time. I can't wait to do this with my kids. Thanks SOOOO much for the idea!

www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

Michie said...

I think I saw lollipops like that in candy corn colors...I wonder if you planted candy corn if you'd get candy corn lollipops? :)

Jami said...

What an adorable idea! I hope you'll stop by and share it at the Pretty Packages Party!
http://blackberryvine.blogspot.com/2010/10/pretty-packages-party-3.html
smiles!

Katie's Nesting Spot said...

Oh my goodness, that would be fun and magical! How cute, I need to write this down as a must do!!! Thanks for sharing with us at A Crafty Soiree! I hope to see you next week too!

mommyidea said...

Very cute!! What a great idea for christmas!!

Denise Marie said...

absolutely magical and adorable.

Something Special said...

Very fun idea, my grandchildren will love it.

Southern Fried Gal said...

Cute idea!

Jami said...

I'm so glad you stopped by and linked up! This is just the cutest idea!
smiles!

The Answer Is Chocolate said...

Adorable idea! I saw this at the Pretty Packages Party. Too cute!

Liz@Violet Posy said...

That is such a fabulous idea, thankyou so much for adding it to Thrifty Christmas x

JDaniel4's Mom said...

My son would love this.

EmilyM said...

i just came across this post, it is such a cute idea. I will have to remember it for next year!!!

Santa's Letter Elf said...

Very cute - and great dedication from you to creatie it, too!