Monday, September 27, 2010

The Gardener's Prop Box

I've been rotating our pretend play boxes for the past few weeks and have been seeing lots of dramatic play in our house...even when the prop boxes aren't being used.  I've shared our post office box here and our bakers box here

During the first few times we open a new prop box, I spend time playing with the kids and demonstrating how one would play with the items.  After awhile, they get the idea and then play just takes off from their ideas.


Little J's box

Apron and gloves, tools, garden markers, and real lettuce seeds to plant now.  Little J has access to my garden books and other tools with supervision.

Today I'm sharing our gardener's box.  My aunt gave Little J this wonderful tool box this past summer.  I've fill his with real tools to help in the garden and then made another box for Juiciness and Sassyfras that were a little less dangerous, but they could still use for real if they wanted. 


Juiciness and Sassyfras's box


Contents
Gardening gloves and aprons
Shovels
Seed packs and empty bulb box
Recycled applesauce containers to use as pots
Shredded brown paper for dirt
Garden markers
Watering can

I had each  child choose a flat of pansies they liked during a recent nursery trip.

Mums

We made a visit to a garden shop last week to buy some mums and pansies as well as some lettuce seeds.  As soon as the weather is right, we will take our garden boxes outside and do our planting. 

In the meantime, we've been reading Strega Nona's Harvest by Tomie dePaola.  It is a great book to read this time of year.  We'll be making some little scarecrows to add to our garden beds later this week. 








 
We Play
Come play at the Childhood 101 We Play link up.



abc button


15 comments :

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Adorable! Someday you're going to have to show us where you store all these awesome prop boxes. (And I can sit back and envy you. ;)

Kebeni said...

i love this idea of prop boxes but lack of storage is a problem here

Christy said...

I love this. I wonder how you store them too! I have never made a prop box, but now I want to. I know it would be a big hit here. Yours are fantastic!

Kelly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly said...

I don't want anyone thinking I'm super organized, a little maybe, but not super. We do have a good bit of storage in the house and I try to make the most of odd places to store things.

My wonderful husband put shelving in my office/guest bedroom and I use that to keep all these types of things. I also keep a large number of toys stored in there too. I rotate toys through the playroom so there isn't too much boredom. If I can get a decent picture (lighting isn't the best) I’ll try to take a picture later this week and post it if it would be helpful.
Rubbermaid boxes stack well. Also, some things can be put in giant Ziploc bags and hung up.

I'm always looking for ways to improve the boxes, so any suggestions are welcome. For the gardener's box I recently found the glove and aprons on clearance and added them.

amandab said...

Princess wants to make a scarecrow too for the vegie patch we are planting. We planted cucumber, lettuce, dwarf yellow beans and yellow button squash (the last 2 are her choices) a couple of weeks ago, and we are hoping to get back out there today and get some more stuff into the garden. She is taking on the responsibility of having a garden to look after very well, and disappeared on me the other day so that she could go and water :) It did give me a fright though when I couldn't find her :(

Lauren said...

This is a fantastic gift idea for someone whose parent likes to garden! Thanks for sharing.

Miss Carly said...

Oh my this was just too cute! I am off to check out your letter box now!

Mare said...

hi:)....
I come form Europe, and i realy like the idea of you having a link party...... I hope I'll meet a lot of new blogers........
I realy like your blog.......
You can check out my blog at
http://argopirgasto.blogspot.com/
http://mare-ri.blogspot.com/

greeting from Croatia:))....
Mare....

Dorie said...

What a great prop box! We have lots of pretend to be or do toys here, but no true organizational system. I like your clever containers as well as the props.

Elise said...

I have come over from Lesson Plans @ Craft Gossip where your autumn traditions tree was featured.

I am your newest follower.

Katie's Nesting Spot said...

Your prop boxes are not only filled with a great variety of tools but are also made extra special by the delightful container you store everything in. I also like how you've made two different age appropriate boxes for your kids. Thank you for joining us at Show & Tell on ABC & 123: A Learning Cooperative!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I love that these are things that can be used for play and also for work. My son loves to dig in the dirt.

Christie - Childhood 101 said...

I am such a fan of your prop boxes. Another box filled with fun :)

Whitehead's Monthly Menu said...

These are really Cool! I love how you add an actual activity to go along with them such as baking or gardening !