Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Baker's Prop Box and Apple Turnovers




Apple turnover topped with powdered sugar and cinnamon.

I shared our "Post office prop box"  back in this post and there seemed like there was interest in seeing our other boxes.  So, I thought over the next few weeks I would rotate them out and let you see what we have.  I would love ideas for improving the boxes.

Baker's pretend play prop box

The kids have a play kitchen with accessories, but I keep a special "bakers box" that I only put out from time to time to make it something new for them.  However, today I invited them to come to the kitchen to use their box "for real".  We're going to make easy apple turnovers thanks to Paula Dean (We're almost following her recipe).

Baker's Box Contents:
Aprons
Mini baking pans
Muffin cup liners
Measuring spoons and cups
Mixing bowls
Utensils
Empty boxes from real baking mixes
Rolling pins and cookie cutters
Baking mats
Old sprinkles with the lids glued shut
Fresh play dough (I make a fresh batch of play dough when I get this box out for them)
Most of these items I have taken from either my kitchen or purchased in a dollar bin somewhere.
If they are interested in something else, such as a cookie sheet or spatula, that I have in the kitchen I will usually turn it over to them.

The turnover recipe that we used today was simple, a little messy, but delicious and definitely one for the recipe collection.



Rolling out the dough.

Sassyfras spooning the filling into the dough.

Pressing it closed.

The Filling:

Fresh ground nutmeg


Rum raisins

Turnover filling finished

We added a few extra ingredients to our turnovers from this recipe above.  Think Rum Raisin ice cream!  I marinated golden and regular raisins overnight in some rum and added this and some chopped pecans to our apple mix.  The alcohol burns off during cooking, so all that is left behind is wonderful flavor. 

I've put their special bakers box in the play area (minus the play dough- they can come to the table with the box if they want to use it).  It will probably stay out for a couple of weeks before I rotate it out of the playroom.




11 comments :

maryanne @ mama smiles said...

How fun to use their box "for real"!

April said...

mmmm yummy, I keep baking utensils in my daughters play kitchen area as well. Coming thru from ABC and 123.

Raising a Happy Child said...

It looks like a great play box! I was surprised to see real sprinkles, but then I read "glue shut" and my mind was put to ease :)

Heather J. said...

I love the bakers box. We just did a Bakers theme last week.

http://mommylittlehelper.blogspot.com/2010/09/bakers.html

mommy ways said...

okay, how delicious does this look!?! Yumm ;-) We just went to a local apple orchard to pick apples..now I know what to do with all the apples! From ABC 123 ;-) Thanks for sharing!

amandab said...

Those turnovers look very yummy, and I love the idea of different themed boxes. If only I had more boxes, and more room to store them!

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Delicious and a great way to get kids involved in the kitchen. Good job, mom!

Kebeni said...

YUM!! I love the box idea

Katie's Nesting Spot said...

How yummy looking, your great photos make me want to reach through the screen for a bit and makes me crazy something with apples! Thank you for joining us at Show & Tell on ABC & 123: A Learning Cooperative!

Christie - Childhood 101 said...

Thank you for sharing your bakers box, I really love the idea of rotating your props, something we need to start doing in our home corner I think. The sprinkles are so sweet and gluing on the lids is pretty ingenious :)

Jenn @ Delicious Ambiguity said...

What a great idea and how yummy do those apple turnovers look...MMMM! :) Thanks so much for linking to Tot Tuesdays last week. I've featured you today! Have a wonderful day!