Sunday, September 12, 2010

Apple Washing and Scalloped Apples

I washed our apples in soapy water before handing them over to the kids to "wash" as I didn't want them exposed to the full pesticides.  I filled one side of the sink with soapy water and the other with clean rinse water and let them have at it. 

I used my Pampered Chef apple peeler, the one that I have a love/hate relationship with, to peel and slice the apples.  It does it all so quickly and thinly that I can't help but love it, yet somehow it takes a couple of apples to get it going just right.

Now I don't have a specific recipe for these, but I go by taste and smell mostly. 
7 apples peeled and sliced
Fresh lemon juice
Ground cinnamon, nutmeg, and all spice
Sugar and brown sugar

I put the apples in a bowl and squirt a little fresh lemon juice on them.  Then add about 1/4 cup of sugar and a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar and mix.  Add spices to taste preference. 

Let it sit for about 5 minutes and then add about 2 tablespoons of flour, enough to thicken the juices at the bottom of the bowl.  Pour it all in a small baking dish and dot it with about 1-2 tablespoons of butter, cover and put it in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.  Remove foil and return to the oven for about 5 more minutes.  These are good by themselves or served with a little whip cream or even better, vanilla ice cream!

I'm sure you can smell the delicious aroma in your house as it filled our entire house.  To me, it's the perfect hint that fall is on its way!


Bending Birches said...

that looks amazing! we just went apple picking, so we have 35 lbs to bake with!

Wonder Mom said...


Wonder Mom said...