Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Ten Red Apples Counting Activity

We read the book Ten Red Apples by Pat Hutchins (one of my personal favorite children's authors) and did a fun math activity with it. 

Ten Red Apples counting game, preschool apple theme

I cut out apple tree shapes and taped them to craft sticks.  Then, using Apple Jacks cereal Sassyfras and Juiciness helped me count ten red apples to put on the tree.  I put out the farm animals we had to help us eat the apples as we read the story.

Ten Red Apples counting game, apple preschool theme

Ten Red Apples lesson plans

Sassyfras really got into some pretend play more than counting, but Juiciness has recently started to love counting and just kept counting.  They both needed lots of help, but they kept coming back to the trays and wanting to use them.


7 comments :

Christy said...

Great ideas! We are enjoying our apple play dough this week too.

Brimful Curiosities said...

Very creative way to use Apple Jacks!

Joyful Learner said...

Everything looks so pretty! I'm sure the children loved the nice display of the farm with apple jacks to eat from! :)

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Fabulous ideas! I was just thinking we need to do some sort of math activity... thanks for the inspiration!

Raising a Happy Child said...

It's fun to see so many good apple ideas on so many good blogs lately. Pirate Day in the other post looks like a lot of fun - too bad that my daughter wants absolutely nothing to do with them - she thinks they are all "nasty"

Kelly said...

I laughed at loud about Anna's comment about pirates! Good for her, I'm with her on the real thing. We like the fun,pretend pirates better.

Lori said...

Those are super cute!