Friday, August 13, 2010

Volunteering, Summer Bucket List

I think volunteering with kids can be as simple or as elaborate as you want to make it.  However, I do think it is valuable for kids to be able to volunteer in someway that is meaningful to them. 

Sassyfras pulled "Volunteer" from our summer bucket today.  I gave the kids a few different options as to what we could do.  It was decided that we would make dessert for our local Ronald McDonald house.  Our local house allows groups and families to cook full dinners for the families staying at the house, but the kids must be at least 13.  However, they do allow desserts to be brought into the facility. 

We pulled  a box of brownies from the pantry and set to work. 

Everyone got a chance to do something.

Little J, our master egg cracker.

Juiciness adds the water and tries to sneak a taste.

Sassyfras helps stir.

Then, add a few sprinkle because what's dessert without sprinkles!  I used a disposable pan so I don't have to worry about cutting them now or getting a dish back.

We'll take our brownies over after naptime today.


Ticia said...

That's a good way to let your kids help volunteer. I like that.

Terra said...

I will definitely volunteer to eat those!!! LOL. I'm stopping by from the Friday Blog Hop. I'm not new to your blog though. I love visiting.

Christy said...

I love this idea. You have inspired me. Thanks.

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

How wonderful -- and what a great life lesson you're teaching them by volunteering at such a young age! Well done!!