Thursday, August 5, 2010

Going Back to School Books and Craft, Schultuete



I'm sad when I think that school starts in about a month!  I've had so much fun with all the kids home this summer.  Little J will start 1st grade and Juiciness and Sassyfras will do preschool 2 mornings a week.  I'm not a big fan of preschool this young, but it's hard to get kids into a preschool around here if they don't start young and I can't imagine having to get two in somewhere.  I rationalize it by saying I can get some errands and boring work done while they're busy playing with friends. 



Book List
Mouse's First Day of School
How Do Dinosaurs Go To School?
Froggy Goes to School
Biscuit Goes to School
The Kissing Hand



While I read to them, they decorated large pieces of construction paper.  I put out a bunch of different art supplies that are usually kept out of reach.  They were overjoyed at being allowed to have stickers and stamps!  Little did they know that when they turned their creations over to me that I was going to turn them into yet another surprise for them- Schultuetes or German school cones. 

I have some new crayons and paper, individually wrapped snacks, small books, and some other little trinkets to fill them.  I'm also planning to tuck a little picture of them with me that they can put in their pocket their first days.


I would recommend using something sturdier than construction paper if you really wanted to do larger items.  Little J was at a friend's house, but I'm going to make a schultuete for him out of scrapbook paper.






10 comments :

Raising a Happy Child said...

Ooh, this is a GREAT idea. How exciting that the little ones will start preschool. With all due respect to homeschoolers, we do like our 3 mornings of preschool a week and the time my husband has to work and do chores :) I am so going to do a Schultute for Anna when she goes back to preK after two week break in the end of August.

Christy said...

My son is also starting first grade in a few weeks, and my daughter will be in preschool five days a week (only two hours each day). I have seen these before, but I have never made one. I am adding it to my to do list for this year. Great idea.

We have read all of those books too. Our favorite is The Kissing Hand.

maggy, red ted art said...

I had a Schultuete when I started school! These are wonderful! I think I will be making one for Red Ted when he is old enough too!

I will be featuring you in my "Yellow Get Crafty" (a monthly themed carnival) if that is ok!!!! Will be postes 1st Sept!

In the meantime, he is August's "Summer Get Crafty" as a reference!! http://redtedart.wordpress.com/2010/08/01/get-crafty-aug-2010-summer/

Maggy

Julia said...

What a cute idea!

Ticia said...

I think I first heard about these when I saw a Playmobil toy of it.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

What a sweet craft for their first days!

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Very sweet! My 2 year old is starting pre-school this year, and I'm so excited. Not so much for the "me" time, but because I know she's going to love it. I'm not as excited about my 5 year old starting full-day Kindergarten. I'm going to miss her!

Brimful Curiosities said...

I've heard of the Schultutes before but had forgot all about them until your post. Great idea.

Charlene said...

Wonderful idea! My youngest is starting kindergarten this year and we've been reading alot of kindergarten books. We love the kissing hand...I have to give him a kissy hand every time when I go to work.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

Whata great idea! It came out so well. I need to try these with JDaniel.