Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Post Office Play


We have a few prop boxes for pretend play that I rotate in and out of the playroom.  They are simple clear storage containers that I fill with various items.  Some of the ones we have are:  florist, baker, doctor, and post office. 


Today I pulled out the post office box.  It contains miscellaneous writing papers and old cards, stamps, writing tools and other office supplies, and an old blue shirt to look like the postal workers' uniforms.  I also saved up a pile of junk mail and the little slips in magazines that they think are postcards to include. 

We made a trip to the post office yesterday to mail Little J's thank you notes from his birthday party.  The kids were able to see where we bought stamps, different letters and packages, people coming in and out with different items, and their favorite-the mail trucks.  I thought this would be a good time to put the box out and let them play.


We Play
Come play at the Childhood 101 We Play link up.

abc button










15 comments :

Martianne said...

I had prop bags for a while, but have gotten so disorganized. This makes me want to revisit them. Thank you!

varunner said...

I love how organized you are! Do they have a prop box that is the universal favorite?

Christy said...

Very good idea! I should do this. I wish I had more organization in my toy room.

Kara said...

I love the idea of having themed play boxes! Brilliant!

sara said...

Such a great idea. Plus I'm all for anyhting that lets me buy organizing stuff

Ticia said...

I'd love to see your other boxes like that. I want to do something like that, but haven't yet.

Raising a Happy Child said...

I wish we had play room to begin with :) It's a nice idea to rotate the themes to keep kids interested. I should do it more often in daughter's bedroom, since lately she just pulls everything out and makes a big pile of mess during her "nap time".

amandab said...

We should set some of these up, especially since our postcard hobby means that Princess has a great fondness for letter writing and posting. Thanks for the idea :)

Be A Fun Mum said...

This is fantastic Kelly! I'm going to make up my own post office box.

I've come over from Childhood101 We Play
beafunmum.com

Narelle said...

I love this idea! Brings back memories of this sort of play as a child too :) I will have to start making up some for my DS!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

This is wonderful. It looks like they had a great time pretending.

Mom and Kiddo said...

It's a nice idea to have themed boxes for pretend play.

Jenn @ Delicious Ambiguity said...

What an awesome idea. I think I'll put some of these together for my son when he is a bit older. I'm featuring you on Tot Tuesdays today! :)

Jackie H. said...

Oh, I had forgotten how much fun post office could be. When I was a kid, we'd spend our whole time setting up our post office and never have time to "use" it. We even made our own stamps by sewing paper on a sewing machine to make it perforated. I can't wait until my kids are old enough for post office.

Anonymous said...

ah - so there isn't actually a rule that says that all pretend play stuff must be permanently available and all in one box - it seems so obvious, but I am bookmarking this post to remind myself.

kirstie