Sunday, August 29, 2010

Pesto, Fresh from the Summer Bucket list Garden

This year the kids grew herbs for their summer garden, plus a few tomato plants. They harvested about two bowls full of basil and there is still a ton left to enjoy.  Little J me helped make some pesto.

We didn't use pesticides, so it really just needed a quick rinse and pat dry.

Freshly grated parmigiano reggiano cheese.

The kids love the mini pasta shapes.

Yummy pasta with pesto!

I don't really have a measured recipe that I use...just to taste.  I start with a lot of fresh basil and put that in a food processor and pulse.  Then I add the freshly grated parmigiano reggiano or other like cheese, walnuts or pinenuts, and fresh garlic and pulse this until course.  I then drizzle olive oil while processing.  Finally, I add salt and whatever else I think it could use a little more of and pulse until it's a nice consistancy.


Christy said...

I love pesto!

Ticia said...

I love pesto but never have any luck making it on my own