Monday, August 9, 2010

Outer Space Play


We've been busy discussing all things outer space the past couple of weeks.  Little J is busy learning some constellations and we're planning to do some night sky watching soon.  A nearby planetarium is having an evening program to watch the upcoming Perseids meteor shower and I think we're going to participate. 


Last year Little J studied the solar system in school.  He built this outer space model using a craft store kit and a big box.  He swirled black and blue tempera paint on the inside of a large packing box.  Next, using the chart provided in the kit, he measured and cut the wire to the correct lengths to represent the planet's distance from the sun.  After gluing all the planets in orbit around the sun we hung it from the top of the box.


He spent hours playing with his space tube toys.  I pulled it out of the attic the other day and he sat down with Juiciness and Sassyfras to teach them the names of the planets.  It was really cute.  They wanted to touch it way more than he was willing to let them though.  He has it back in his room again and is enjoying it all over again. 

Linking to...

We Play

Come play at the Childhood 101 We Play link up.

abc button






Linked to The Nurture Store

11 comments :

Kylie said...

oh this looks fabulous. :)

jenny said...

My little boy used to love those space tube toys too :)

Marita said...

That looks like so much fun. I think I will have to add making a space diorama to my girls school holiday activities list as they'd love this.

Narelle said...

Awesome! Can't wait for my kids to be a bit older so I can do this stuff with them :)

Mom and Kiddo said...

My son has been pestering me to make a solar system, this one looks great.

Christy said...

My son loves making dioramas. WE should make an outer space one.

Raising a Happy Child said...

What a great creation! It's so neat that you saved it for the future play and it's very sweet for him to be willing to teach his brother and sister about planets.

The Sunshine Crew said...

Cool solar system project! Wll have to share with my sons, as they would love this, too.
Have a great day and as always, love reading your posts.
:) Colleen

joyce:waddleeahchaa.com said...

In fourth grade we built solar system which looked very similar. We hung them from our classroom ceiling and the teacher put black paper all over the ceiling. I thought it was so cool. Thanks for sharing and I enjoyed reminiscing. :)

Christie - Childhood 101 said...

What a fantastic solar system, I can see it would offer endless hours of fun.

mermaid said...

This is so cool! I`ll keep the idea in mind for the future!