Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Make your Own Watercolor Paints

homemade watercolor paint recipe

I have a project that I want certain colors of watercolor paints for and I thought it might be easiest to make the colors myself.  I found two basic recipes that were the same except for one used glycerin and the other corn syrup.  I chose the one with corn syrup and I found that recipe at Martha Moments.com.  There are plenty of other sites out there for the same or similar recipes.
  


4 Tablespoons baking soda
2 Tablespoons vinegar
1/2 teaspoon corn syrup
2 Tablespoons corn starch


Mix the baking soda and vinegar together.  Add the corn syrup and corn starch.  I used ramkins and divided the mixture among them.   I used various combinations of food coloring to achieve the colors I wanted. Let them dry overnight.  

homemade watercolor paint recipe

I'm not sure that I will ever buy watercolor paints again.  They turned out really nice and they were super easy to make.  My one and only complaint is they dry a bit grainy, but it's not a big enough problem to be a deal breaker for me!

homemade watercolor paints





14 comments :

Jenn @ Delicious Ambiguity said...

You’ve got a great blog here. Would love it if you’d link up some of your creative ideas for toddlers on my Tot Tuesdays Linky Party:
http://www.mydeliciousambiguity.com/

Ticia said...

Those did turn out pretty.

Megan said...

Your colors turned out very nice. I'm sure my daughter would love to help me make our very own watercolors!

Shopper Gal said...

What a fun idea!! Those colors turned out really great :)

-Shopper Gal
http://www.shoppergal.com/

child central station said...

We made similar paints, but I used dry kool-aid instead of food coloring for the color, they turned out fantastic- and fruity too! I know I won't buy watercolors again! It was rather amusing, as my son who is nearly 8 asked me while we were mixing... "Mom, do you think I can ever taste Kool-aid?" We use it all the time for scented paints and play dough, but I never make it for him to drink! So, he had to try it out. Here is our paint making: http://childcentralstation.blogspot.com/2010/06/im-not-sure-that-i-will-ever-buy.html

Deborah said...

Gorgeous Colors!

Julia said...

Those look great! I am going to have to try this one!

Christy said...

I love the picture of the watercolors in all of the little containers - so pretty! I'll have to try this sometime.

child central station said...

We used some small plastic containers that came from Crystal Light. You could use lots of different containers though. They do dry out great (the color is less vibrant when they are dry), but like regular watercolors the color comes back when you add the water. I made a huge batch when we made them, and we still have some left over.

Raising a Happy Child said...

The colors turned out very nice! I added your recipe to my Evernote :)

Joannof10 said...

I am definetly going to be trying this!

Naxi said...

Do you have the amount of glycerine used in the other recipe, please? We can't get corn syrup here.

Thanks!

SpantastiKreations said...

I made two batches of this following this recipe and they turned out yucky. The powders and the liquids kept separating and it left a thick, hard solid bottom in the containers. What am/did I do wrong. I'm sorry I won't be making this again.

Erin
SpantastiKreations
www.spantastikreations.blogspot.com

Kelly said...

I'm sorry they didn't work out for you Erin. They've always worked out fine for us. The only complaint that I haven't been able to fix is that there is sometimes a grainy texture to the picture.