Thursday, August 19, 2010

Fabric Weaving wtih Kids


fabric weaving

When I saw the book, Make It by Jane Bull, I thought it would be a perfect book to accompany Little J's inventor's box.  He has been building his own creations with his box, but was excited to have another source of inspiration and instruction.  I wouldn't say that it has a bunch of new ideas, but it brings old favorites to light again.

weaving for kids

Today, we chose to work on a fabric weaving project together.  We started by making a cardboard frame and wound the base fabric around it (the warp).  Little J then started weaving the various fabrics through (the weft).  Once finished we cut the fabric off the back and tied it off. 




Little J put it with our nature tray.  I think it turned out pretty nice!


10 comments :

Wonder Mom said...

Forget my kiddos- I want to try this! :0)

Ticia said...

That would make a great pot holder. I bet that was a lot of fun, and a great way to use up fabric scraps.

Michelle said...

Oh wow I would love one of those...the colors are amazing what a great job!

Thank you for linking up to stART :0)

sara said...

What a cute project! Now I want to give it a try...

The Sunshine Crew said...

Great project! Thanks for sharing.
Colleen:)

Raising a Happy Child said...

What a colorful result! I am looking forward to the time when I can try something like this with daughter. By the way, I forgot to thank you for enlightening me on my backyard canna lily plant. Your email is not enabled in your profile, so it's not always easy to respond to your comments :)

Polwig said...

We love Jane bull books. I love how she weaves forks and knives into hers at times. Your is much prettier though. Btw I am a mom of 2 yo B/G twins also

JDaniel4's Mom said...

The weaving is beautiful. What a wonderful idea. My post is going up tonight. Please stop by.

April said...

Looks like fun. I remember when I was little I would make pot holders by weaving those nylon rubber band things together.

Julia said...

That is so cute!