Thursday, July 8, 2010

Ocean Theme, stART



stART is sponsored by Michelle at A Mommy's Adventures.  It's been a couple of weeks since we've participated, but we're happy to be back.

We've been reading some ocean themed books this week, so our art is ocean themed too.  You can see our Shelfari shelf for some of our favorite books.  I found the idea for our project at Deep Space Sparkle.  I love this blog.  She has so many wonderful art projects and tips for working with different age kids.  Many projects can be modified to meet your needs. 



Her lesson is meant to be salmon, but we made it our own.  Little J made a shark...he even glued it on the paper so that its dorsal fin was above water!  He was hesitant to do this project at first, so I drew one fish for him and he finished it.  I did the same for Sassyfras and Juiciness.  They both had a blast with paint. 






For my clean up diversion I put on the movie Coral Reef Adventure.  If you get Netflix it is also on their instant play movies.  It is a great movie about the ecology of coral reefs.  It was originally made for IMAX theatres.  It has beautiful scenery, music, and narration in addition to a great science lesson.





11 comments :

Deborah (Teach Preschool) said...

Great time of year to explore an ocean theme! I like the process you show here.

Brimful Curiosities said...

Our library is holding a "Make a Splash" program this year, so they have all the water and oceans books on display right now! Cute craft.

butterfly wishes and Wonderland Dreams said...

those turned out great

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Terrific fish! We'll have to check out your resource, it sounds like a great site.

Raising a Happy Child said...

What a beautiful project - this orange fish looks so lovely in a blue water. The books are interesting too, and I might add some of them to our reading list.

Jess and the boys said...

I'll have to remember that movie! My son is obsessed with fish! :)

I'm your newest follower from Friday Blog Hop!

If you'd like, you can follow me back here:
http://giveawaysandlife.blogspot.com/

Hazel said...

Very creative!

I am a new follower! Come visit me @ www.critiqueoftheunique.blogspot.com

JDaniel4's Mom said...

This came out so well. I love how it can be modified. Your clean up distraction looks like fun.

Jenny said...

Those are cute. I love how he put the fin above the water. I have been trying to get my husband to set up our tv with netflix, and I've been wanting to see that movie - so there's another reason! Thanks for the ideas.

Charlene said...

Our library is also doing the Make a Splash program....Great art! Love the diverse clean up movie lol!

Charlene said...

Excuse my spelling in my last comment - I can't spell worth a crap today!

Stopping by via stART!