Sunday, July 11, 2010

Morse Code Experiment

We recently visited Samuel Morse's Home, Locus Grove, in Poughkeepsie, NY while we were on our road trip with Nana.  It is a national historic landmark complete with a small museum, beautiful gardens, and a great gift shop.  I picked up this neat little kit (really just a simple circuit) that you put together and can do Morse Code with.  We also did a little internet search to learn more information on Samuel Morse and Morse Code.  I've listed below some of the sites we liked. 


I think what I found most interesting was how Little J just couldn't fathom why someone would communicate this way.  He doesn't have a great concept of when the world didn't have email and telephone. 


http://www.lgny.org/history/morse.html
http://www.battleshipnc.com/kids/games/morse/index.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_code






7 comments :

Deborah (Teach Preschool) said...

What a wonderful experience! I am so amazed by the history of communication. I just can't imagine using Morse code either:)

Cindy said...

Great experiment! I'm sure my kids would be the same ~ wondering why anyone ever communicated that way.

Discovering Montessori said...

I really think this is a very cool way to combine science and history. Way to go!!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

What a neat follow-up from a museum visit!

Jenna said...

Isn't that funny how our little ones can't hardly imagine life without modern technology. I think it is great that you are teaching your children about history (and science) with a hands-on approach. This makes such a difference.

Phyllis said...

History and science together compliments each other. Great work!

Ticia said...

I drove my Sunday School class nuts once making them decode Morse Code. They were not happy campers.