Thursday, July 22, 2010

Mister Seahorse Craft for Kids

Mr. Seahorse craft

For our stART story this week we read Mister Seahorse by Eric Carle (I promise this is our last ocean themed stART for awhile!).  The local craft store has fun wooden cutout sea creatures for a steal, so I picked some up for us to paint. 

wooden cutouts
paint in fun summer colors
small foam paint brushes
googly eyes
small magnet

seahorse craft for kids

seahorse craft for kids

seahorse craft for kids

painting with kids

I helped them place their googly eye and sequins once they dried. We also glued magnets on the back of them and now we have pretty fridge magnets.
seahorse craft for kids

* The homemade clay from last week never dried right.  Little J has since rolled it flat an used a shark shaped cookie cutter to make his sharks.  We'll see if that is any better.
*Our squirt gun fight has been rescheduled for next week as it works out that all our friends can be here that way.


Christy said...

Wow - the seahorses came out so pretty! Great project.

Mister Seahorse is a wonderful book.

redtedart said...

They came out beautifully!! Well done. Red Ted would have loved this painting activity too!

And a lovely book!


butterfly wishes and Wonderland Dreams said...

those turned out soo pretty! LOVE them!!

Char said...

Very cute seahorses.

Michelle said...

We read an Eric Carle book fact I almost took this one out of the library instead this week. I love how these turned out Emily would enjoy this project.

Thank you for linking up to stART!!!

Ticia said...

Those are so pretty. It took me a minute to realize those were extra googly eyes and not grommets like I thought.

Julia said...

Those are really cute! I love the idea of turning them into magnets. I always pick up things like that for the girls to paint, but then I'm never sure what to do with them LOL

Elle Belles Bows said...

Great craft! Love it!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

The mix of paint turned out terrific!

MommyTeacher123 said...

That is really cute.Nice connection.

Charlene said...

Oooh Soooo Pretty! I love seahorses! Thanks for sharing!

sbswtp said...

I have not heard of this book...I will have to find it :) I think the sea horses came out great!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I love the colors of paint you chose. Magnets would be a great addition to the fridge.

Spoiled...but Not Rotten said...

What a great project! I am going to have to do this with my kids as well!

I found your blog through Mama to 3 Blessing Friday Blog Hop. You now have a new follower!

Raising a Happy Child said...

I love those little wooden cutouts, but you managed to turn them into fantastic art. Great project with little ones for a wonderful book. This is one of our favorites from Eric Carle, and we checked it from the library several times.