Monday, July 12, 2010

The Kids Cook Monday

Visit The Kids Cook Monday here.

I took Little J to the grocery with me this weekend.  I suggested that we get something from the seafood case, thinking fish.  However, he spotted little neck clams and wanted to try them.  I was fairly skeptical that he would like them, but my husband and I do so we wouldn't be out anything and he would be able to try something new. 

I figured his best bet was stuffed clams.  This is how he made them.

He started by washing and scrubbing the clams in cold water.  I was able to explain to him how we could only cook and eat the live clams and how we could tell if they were alive.  He then arranged them in a broiler pan.  I placed them in the oven on the lowest rack on broil.  I left them in there until their shells popped open.  Once they did, I removed the clam from its shell and placed it back on the half shell.

We used a piece of ciabatta bread and made it into bread crumbs in the food processor.  He added a little garlic, parsley (I didn't have any fresh parsley, so we made do with the fresh frozen kind.  I find for cooked dishes this is usually fine.), olive oil, and Parmesan cheese.

He the spooned the mixture over each clam and placed it into a baking dish.

I put them in the oven on broil until they were golden and helped remove them from the oven.  He helped plate and serve them.

As I expected they were delicious, but he didn't care for them.  Sassyfras wouldn't even look at them and Juiciness can always be counted on to like just about anything.  He had several before running off to play.


Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

That WAS brave of you! I've never particularly found a correlation between helping to make dinner and actually wanting to eat it. Always a good exercise though, to help out in the kitchen!

{Bobbi} said...

OMGoodness! Your kids made clams. How fancy of them. Hope they ate with pinkies out. That is awesome!