Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A Southern Favorite, Fried Green Tomatoes

The tomatoes have finally gotten big, but haven't started to ripen.  So it's the perfect time for one of my favorite southern specialties...fried green tomatoes.  If you've ever had them your mouth has probably started to water. If you haven't, then you're probably wondering, "Isn't that a movie?  I didn't know you really ate them".  Here is how I like to prepare them.

Mix together equal parts of corn meal and flour on a plate or in a bowl. 

Wash, dry, and slice a green tomato-make sure it hasn't started to ripen otherwise it will be too soft.   
  Heat olive oil in a skillet, preferably a cast iron one, over medium-high heat (not smoking though).  Dredge the tomato slices through the corn meal/flour mixture and place in a frying pan. 

Cook on one side until golden then gently flip and do the same with the other side. 

Remove to a rack lined with paper towels to drain.  Sprinkle with salt while they are still hot and serve. 

Enjoy y'all.


Julia said...

Oh, yum... my mouth is definitely watering. I love, love, love fried green tomatoes!!

the sleepy time gal said...

oh my goodness, those look amazing. happy to meet yuo and your blog!

Julia said...

I left you a comment on my blog, but though I would come over and answer you here too... sometimes I forget to check back on other peoples blogs when I leave them a question... hehe. I use my mom's recipe, although she makes it MUCH better than I do. It's similar to yours, but we fry them in butter with a little bit of bacon grease. Once they are all fried, she puts them all back in pan until they start falling apart a little... they are so yummy. I love throwing some okra in with them. It's really hard to find around here though. And now I can't wait until our tomatoes start growing.. hehe

Megan said...

Thanks for sharing this (the photos of each step are really helpful). Those of us from Western Washington don't have tomatoes yet AND don't know how to make fried green tomatoes. I've always wanted to try them. I'm saving your post so that if my scrawny plants ever do produce, I'll be able to fry some up!

Jenny said...

Those look soooo good.

littlewondersdays said...

Julia- Yum! I've done bacon drippings before and they are so good that way too!