Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Inventor's Box

inventor's box

I'm not sure where he gets it from, but Little J is constantly asking, "Oooh, can I make something with that?"  as I'm putting out the recycle bin.  I'm always saying, "No, it's trash".  So, finally, I decided to say,"Yes, why not". 

I've started a separate bin for him and have been putting cleaned items in it.  We also took a trip to an odd, little store not far from us.  It is a store that companies and people can donate excess odds and ends (like film roll canisters, scrap fabric, rubber bands, never been used plastic cups,etc).  He had fun filling a bag of assorted objects that he thought he might be able to use in his creations. 
Make an Inventor's Box for your kids
I used some cable ties to clip some tape and hang safety glass.  There is a separate box for scrap wood pieces.  He has access to some small tools that he will ask for assistance with when he wants to use them.  We've placed it next to his dad's workbench and made him a small space on the bench for his work.


Now it's up to his own innovative mind to create. 




13 comments :

Marita said...

Great idea. I especially love how you hung the tape and glasses on the side. My girls love tape, it is such a versatile item.

jenny said...

Love it! I wish I'd thought of this when my boys were younger. At preschool we have an invention table - same concept except on a larger scale. It is one of the most popular areas of the preschool, without doubt.

MamaJ said...

That is soo cool! I like it that it allows him to use his imagination, and that its green as well! :)

Dionna @ Code Name: Mama said...

That is awesome - good for you for letting him keep the scraps around :) The free stuff is almost always better than the expensive toys/gadgets parents can buy!

Sew Fun! said...

i have a cardboard box i use for this same purpose for my daughter..but she often ends up making the box part of her "invention" and i have all the extras floating around until another box shows up..i am ♥ing the way you used a bucket for storage..smart!

katepickle said...

fabulous idea.. can't wait to see what is created from all those goodies!

Living Creatively said...

I LOVE this! My oldest son is constantly creating things with boxes, paper & tape, and nature items. I definitely need to make him an Inventor Box with more odds-and-ends to use. Why didn't I think of that?! ;-)

Can't wait to do it. (Love the addition of safety glasses and tape, too! Maybe I'll even make him a lab coat!)

Sarah Christina said...

Wonderful!

Katie at A List Maker's Life said...

That's fantastic. I can see how it is much easier to have an impromptu invention session when the materials are already gathered. I often find myself hunting around the house for all the pieces of "stuff" the kids want for their creative projects! Thanks for linking to ABC.

Kara said...

What an awesome idea! I bet he come sup with some really cool things!

-Kara
http://littlelearnerslounge.blogspot.com/

Chapter Forty said...

Your J sounds just like my B. They just love to create, don't they? That is if they arent trying to pull something apart to find out how it works.

Katie's Nesting Spot said...

Thanks for linking to ABC & 123! Your activity will be featured in Tuesday's post☺

We have one of those stores by us, it's called The Scrap Box and it too has a bunch of random stuff in it. It's fun to walk around once in awhile and my daughter got a ton of plastic "jewels" that she loves to play with there.

Christie - Childhood 101 said...

I love that he has his own bucket and workspace. We have a big box of all sorts of bits and pieces which I regularly find Immy rummaging through to create with.